RESTORE POUNTS

JERRYLA

Downloaded and ran CCLEANER. It seems CCLEANER deleted my system restore points.

Anyway to restore this information? When I click on the registry ICON on the left side of

the main CCLEANER screen, nothing comes up on the right hand part of the screen.

I am lost as what to do next.

Please respond to xxxxxx

Thanks,

Jerry

• Moderators

You are not in any immediate danger. Have you checked with Windows sys restore whether the restore points are there or not? I'm sure you will have one restore point at least so you have some emergency cover. You can create another point or wait a day for Windows to do it for you.

There have been some comments on this in the past, I can only remember that ticking the Empty Recycler box seemed to be one suspect, but I thought that had been fixed. You could search the forum for info.

You are not in any immediate danger. Have you checked with Windows sys restore whether the restore points are there or not? I'm sure you will have one restore point at least so you have some emergency cover. You can create another point or wait a day for Windows to do it for you.

There have been some comments on this in the past, I can only remember that ticking the Empty Recycler box seemed to be one suspect, but I thought that had been fixed. You could search the forum for info.

I had the same experience wiping free space; lost all points including the most recent. I immediately created a restore point and searched C drive for any other lost files; could not find any. Have used this feature successfully twice before.

Thanks for the info guys.

Problem is I lost a $300 application program some time in the past and I

wanted to try and restore it. That's why it is important that I get the restore points back.

It will cost me another $300 bucks to have the company reinstall the program.

Sigh....

Jerry

If "some time in the past" was more than 90 days (the default maximum retention), the restore point probably would have expired anyway. Also, depending on the size of your drive and the percentage you allow for System Restore (12% is default), you might get significantly shorter retention time.

If you have your product key or other proof of purchase, you shouldn't have to pay to reinstall. Contact the software vendor and explain what happened.

It will cost much less than $300 to buy an external hard Drive and Disc imaging software.

Then you will have something far more certain and longer lasting than restore points.

It will not retrieve what you seem to have lost, but :-

If you take a system snapshot NOW, and suffer damage from any subsequent retrieval attempts that fail,

you can restore the snapshot image to cancel that damage, and try something different.;

ALSO, in the long term, you will never have this problem again.

Some Disc Imaging software is free, some is not.

I use Acronis.

Google "Free Acronis" to get Acronis for free if you have (or buy) a disk drive from certain makers (e.g. Seagate and W.D.)

Alan