Partion a drive

Guest Mangix

by that i mean remove some space from a specified partion

right now i have a 107GB harddrive and Windows uses all of the space. however i want to lower the partion space to somewhere around 80GB so that i can install linux

Yes you need partitioning software. Two years ago I downloaded PatitionMagic demo version and during installation it prompted to create rescue diskettes (2 diskettes) and since then I?m using these two diskettes to

format

resize partition/move partition

create

delete

label

copy

merge

check for errors

convert FAT/FAT32/NTFS/linux and vice versa

convert primary>logical and vice versa

bad sector reset

hide partition

set active

resize clusters

resize root

CHKDSK

and FDISK

I don?t know if they still allow such thing in their new demo versions.

I can send you the contents of those two diskettes but they won?t be bootable (at your end)if you re-save the contents again on diskettes .

i dont have a floppy drive anyways :). well accually i have one on my other virus and spyware infected comp which still works but im too lazy to put it on the new comp :).

ok now i got another question. lol

if i somehow managed to make a bootable diskette, how would i use it. Slackware comes in Disk Image(iso) files which need to be decompressed and burned to a cd. after that, the files from the iso are on the cd and when the cd is in, i can boot to slackware but i cant install it cause i have no space(the partion).

i guess what im asking is...what would a bootable diskette do for me?

if i somehow managed to make a bootable diskette, how would i use it

first make sure the BIOS is set to boot from floppy then slide it in the drive and boot it will automatically boot if it is bootable. just like win 9x boot diskette.

what would a bootable diskette do for me?

now we are off topic. the diskette in the question is partion magic diskette it will open a DOS-like GUI and allow you to partition your drive keeping the existing OS (untouched)

i can boot to slackware but i cant install it cause i have no space(the partion).

what do you mean? do you mean XP is filling the entire 107Gb