Suggestion for buying/build a good computer?

1needhelp

Hi, i'm looking for a good desktop computer but i need some suggestiosn so i can make up my mind. i've never built a computer before and i've no idea what's the right price for it. However, my friend said that a good gaming computer usually cost alot. Just to let you i know nothing about hardware except mouse and keyboard. I'm really stupid when it comes to hardware. Do you suggest me buying or building a computer? By the way, i bought a 64 bit version of Vista on February 2009 and now Windows 7 is coming so should i stick with vista or move on to seven?

If you can't differentiate between a CPU, a motherboard, and RAM, then I would suggest buying a new one then building your own. You have to know the components and be comfortable handling them if you want to build your own. That being said, building computers has become a lot easier in the past few years, but it sounds like sticking with buying from a vendor is your best bet. Wait until October and buy one with 7 - I have Vista and my only complaint is the high memory usage. I have 7 installed on my newly built machine and I love it.

AJ

What computer manufacturer makes good gaming pc? Should i buy a pc made by DELL?

Well considering we don't know where you live because your profile is bare. There are a lot of companies that build computers for you. You tell them what you want to use it for mainly and they will suggest different packages at different prices.

Now my 15 years experience with IBM type compatibles as they were known. The main part of a computer that gernerally cost the most is the CPU processor. You can get an Intel Celeron M processor 1.6GHz for ?23 or Intel Core i7 965 Quad Core, 3.20GHz for ?750. Now the CPU is the engine of the computer so you will need a good engine to start with along with the MotherBoard to plug the CPU into. All other hardware items can be added to or changed later on.

First of you have to set your max price for this computer. If its mainly a games machine you need this for then I would go with the fastest processor you can afford and a reasonably expensive graphics card. Hard drive size again depends on what you are budgeting for on this computer. You can get a 500GB drive for ?40. You can actually get external USB hard drives to store all important data on just in case something happens to your main drive. I bought on a couple of days ago, 1TD SATA II USB external case and drive for ?70. Or you can split your main drive into different partitions. I want to do that with my 500GB drive but I haven't found an easy method yet.

Which sound card, well I've always avoided sound cards that are built into the motherboard. Why, because if anything goes wrong you have to buy a seperate sound card to plug in and therefore that space is wasted on the motherboard. Now the problem you have is that modern computers have a limited number of PCI slots. These are slots on the motherboard where you can plug in any extra devices that you need. e.g. TV card, sound card, modem etc. I only have 2 PCI slots.

Memory will depend on the operating sytem your going to use. WinXP to me the minimum is 500MB with Vista then minumum is 2GB. Vista hogs memory.

I've just had a new computer 5 weeks ago from OverClockers. Now if you live in the UK then that isn't a problem. I had a DELL monitor but they didn't recommend any other DELL products. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

... i bought a 64 bit version of Vista on February 2009 ...

Out of curiosity ... what hardware are you using now? ... and why do you want to upgrade?

What is a defective drive?

"defective" = faulty, broken, not working properly

Out of curiosity ... what hardware are you using now? ... and why do you want to upgrade?

The last time i upgraded my pc was 4 years ago.

But that doesn't answer Glenn's question. He doesn't want to know how long ago he wants to know your hardware spec. CPU speed, RAM Memory, Hard drive size, Graphics card what operating system you are using at the moment?

do you recommend me to use it or to buy a new one.

Buy a new one they don't cost that much today as I've already said. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I'm just suggesting that "a good desktop computer" depends on your purpose.

You should consider the following questions:

1. What do you use now and why is it inadequate?

2. What applications do you want to run, and what are the minimum/recommended/optimum operating system and hardware requirements?

3. How long are you going to keep the new machine and how long is it likely to meet you future requirements?

4. Are you willing to spend enough to meet those requirements?

You don't have to post your answers but if you don't know the answers, you could wind up upgrading to another inadequate machine.

I'm happily running a 5 year old machine on Windows XP. I decided to skip Windows Vista and probably won't upgrade until Windows 7 is proven to be stable and the applications I need are all proven to be compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Good response Glenn...

I live near Richmond (Langley) and have just bought a new PC myself. Although I have upgraded previous machines by installing new motherboards, CPUs, RAM, HDs, video cards, etc, I just watched for something that I thought would meet my needs at a retailer that had a no-questions return policy (there are several chains in the Vancouver area). Buying from a "hole-in-the-wall" PC assembler is dangerous as there is usually no return policy if after a week or so you find it's not meeting your needs.

My personal criteria for upgrading is:

when major apps/new hardware I want to use won't work efficiently (or at all) on what I own. Usually because of an O/S that's no longer supported, a BIOS that doesn't recognize new hardware, or CPU/FSB that's too slow.

Here is my history of upgrades with reasons for doing so:

1. Windows for Workgroups 3.11 - Pentium 60 (bought at local computer store recommended by my employer to get employee discount)

- too slow to copy/burn CDs

2. Windows 95 - Pentium 166MX (O/C to 200MHz) - Had Hole-in-wall retailer install M/B-CPU-memory (was still a newbie).

- unable to play/copy DVDs

3. Windows 98SE - Celeron 500 - bought parts at London Drugs clearance bins ( M/B, CPU, RAM), installed them myself.

(still original case, power supply, keyboard, mouse !!!)

- too slow for efficient video authoring (8 hours for 30 min video) (Would need new case, power supply for any current processor.)

4. Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Compaq Pentium Core 2 Duo E5200 - bought at Staples back-to-school sale plus teacher discount after trying their Compaq Pentium Core 2 Duo E2200 ( two weeks later E5200 was on sale for $30 extra to get 0.25GHz faster, 250GB bigger H/D, 2GB more memory, 64-bit Vista - their exchange policy used for swap.)

- Also purchased new 22" LCD display, 2.1 speaker system, all-in-one printer, ergometric mouse to match (new tower and KB were black: all my previous components were beige, so bit the bullet and changed everything.) These were purchased at various outlets with good return policies where I got the best sale prices. Back-to-school and Boxing day sales are best for PCs.