Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE)

hazelnut

• Moderators

Decided to put on the beta of this from Softpedia download and then upgrade it to the latest version using MSE's internal updater function.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Mic...ssentials.shtml

The machine I have put is on is an old one (which has one or two issues with age!!)

Once I installed and then updated the definitions, (which took a bit of time but may have just been this beaten up old machine) I then ran the upgrade function from the 'help' area of the GUI. Now it is version 1.0.1500.0.

Have run a scan and just updated definitions again manually. I have opted for manual scans and updates as I don't have this machine on all day.

Over all I am quite pleased with it, and will be keeping it on here, and will definately definitely consider putting it on my main machine. I like the gui and while online earlier a box came up from MSE says they had seen a file on my computer that they didn't recognise would I submit it. I said yes, the more info they have, the better they can make it work.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Off topic: Hey cool! I finally spelled definitely right whoo hoo! Finally!

Of course Ice I would never have spelt it wrong, in fact if you look above at my post you will see I didn't :rolleyes:

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
The machine I have put is on is an old one (which has one or two issues with age!!)

Doesn't everything. ;)

I hope when it's finalized and out of beta phase that it will actually install on my system, it failed with some error on multiple occasions to install the beta so I've given up until it's released.

I'm just curious Hazel. Do you have to be a WGA user or will it install without. I've said before on here I bought my genuine WinXP 2002 SP2 4 years ago. Installed it and registered it didn't like it and I put Win98SE back. I installed it again late last year and had loads of problems with official downloads I put WinME back.

I have a new computer 5 weeks ago, now while it was being built for me I decided to download the updates WMP 10 and 11. When I got the computer and installed my WinXP I installed WMP 10 no problem. Gave it a try all ok. I tried to install WMP 11 but it needs to verify an official registered user. I hadn't registered online, I set my connection up and registered online no problem then WMP 11 would install. The other day I was making a music CD and trying the mp3's on WMP all ok. I burnt the CD put it back in and told WMP to play and it kept on throwing up errors. I tried my mp3 files and that through the same errors, I've just played them 20 minutes ago. I thought I will reinstall WMP just in case something is corrupt and it wouldn't install, I'm not a authorised user (I don't have WGA installed after the last computer). I run Activate Windows and it says it already activated. I uninstall 11 which put 10 back in and everything plays as it should do. I have to same problem when I want to update Windows files not an authentic user.

Sorry to bore you on this topic, I could write a topic on this subject on my own. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
I burnt the CD put it back in and told WMP to play and it kept on throwing up errors

Ditch that damned mess of a thing for burning audio CD's, it also can't burn them on my system and has nothing to do with WGA, it's just the software having some issue!

Check out Burrrn, it's freeware, only burns audio CD's and does a fantastic job of it, without stupid errors.

• Moderators

One would think they could hammer down the WGA thing by creating a hidden file somewhere that could be used for validation, and never ask for it again needing some silly software installed. Enough of me venting about it, as it will never go away.

Keith it just checked if I was running an official version if I remember rightly.

WGA is installed on that machine.

Yes I download xpinfo-exe its not an official M$ thing but that says I'm Full Licensed. You can actually Google for xpinfo-exe as my browser is still playing up as bit.

I mistakenly installed WGA when I had WinXP on before because it was a critical update. Of course you don't read all the small print. Once its installed you can't uninstall it. I had to do a system restore to get rid of it. The same critical update show on my new computer a couple of weeks ago and IE8 so I removed the checks and installed the rest. Now for the past couple of weeks I get the red icon in the systray saying your not protected because I switch the automatic updates off. I ticked Notify me but don't download or install them. I don't get any notification anymore not that I'm bothered because I went to M$ to check what updates I need. After it scans it says I'm not an authorised user, so up theirs.

I had an email of M$ yesterday about this Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE) it says you have to register to use it or something. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best