Last free versions of software

TeeJay3800

I thought I remember reading a thread on this forum a while back about a site that lists the last free version of software. Much of that software ended up becoming shareware. I quick Google search didn't find anything useful. Does anyone remember this site?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for a download of Jetico Personal Firewall v1. I used in a couple years ago, but since then JPF has been upgraded to v2 which is shareware (v1 was always free). Jetico has removed the download for v1 and I have not been able to locate a site that still offers it. I'd really like to find JPF v1, so any help anyone can lend is appreciated!

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

dont mean to hijack your thread but i also came across a program i cant find. It is a unique program where you can surf the net and it claimed you will never get a virus it was called something shield i believe but cant rememeber it to find it. Not sure if anyone knows what im talking about. They claimed the product would work in a safe zone or something when surfing the net so you would never get a virus not sure if thats exactly what they said but it was similar. It was made specially for vista or windows, thats what i remember seeing on their site, in fact it was called vista so and so shield or windows so and so shield, something kind of like that

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

• Moderators
It is a unique program where you can surf the net and it claimed you will never get a virus it was called something shield i believe but cant rememeber it to find it.

Sounds like something Sandboxie is already capable of.

Thanks everyone! Those sites are great (except for oldapps.com which is blocked by my hosts file, so I'm assuming it isn't 100% safe).

I didn't end up finding a JPF download, but instead went with Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5. It's basically Sunbelt Personal Firewall, but uses far less system resources. KPF is old, but works great! I exposed my PC directly to the internet (by adding my PC to my router's DMZ) and did a full port scan on GRC.com, and KPF stealthed all my ports. If anyone is looking for an ultra lightweight firewall, I heartily recommend KPF.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
Thanks everyone! Those sites are great (except for oldapps.com which is blocked by my hosts file, so I'm assuming it isn't 100% safe).

Nothing wrong with the site, and SiteAdvisor states it's ok (although it doesn't have that firewall you want):

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/oldapps.com

Perhaps if you have some old burned data CDs or DVDs laying about search them for the setup file if you've previously burned it. I've had zero luck finding the v1 download file anywhere.

Yes it is! How in the world did you find that? I'll probably be sticking with KPF since it's as lightweight as JPF and much easier to use, but thank you because it's nice to have backups in case they're needed in the future.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
I'll probably be sticking with KPF since it's as lightweight as JPF

I was actually wondering why you'd even want to use that ancient version of JPF, however if you're at least using the newest KPF that would be much better in my opinion.

Still Windows Firewall for me though, although I'm behind a hardware firewall too.

I was actually wondering why you'd even want to use that ancient version of JPF, however if you're at least using the newest KPF that would be much better in my opinion.

I am using the latest version of KPF, but that doesn't mean it's new. Version 2.1.5 was released in 2003, and was the last Kerio version before the software was taken over by Sunbelt. I think the common idea that "an old firewall is a bad/weak firewall" is not true. Like I said in my previous post, even with my hardware firewall turned off, KPF got a perfect stealth rating on the GRC ShieldsUp port test, and seems to catch all software that tries to access the internet. What that means to me is, it's working as well as more modern firewalls like Outpost, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, Sunbelt, etc. The reason I want such a lightweight firewall is because it's for my older laptop (PIII 500, 256MB RAM) which doesn't take well to more resource intensive firewalls like Outpost. I do use Outpost on my new laptop however (Athlon 64 X2, 1GB RAM, etc).

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
Version 2.1.5 was released in 2003, and was the last Kerio version before the software was taken over by Sunbelt. I think the common idea that "an old firewall is a bad/weak firewall" is not true.

That's only true with KPF 2.1.5 if you have it properly configured. In its default mode without any additional rules, I wouldn't dare use it.

Well whatever settings I'm using must be working pretty well since it stealths all my ports, and catches all software that tries to access the internet. That's exactly what a good firewall should do. B)

In fact, I think Outpost goes a little too far. It's annoying to have to hit "allow" every time a program makes a change to your system registry. That seems to happen quite a lot.

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
In fact, I think Outpost goes a little too far. It's annoying to have to hit "allow" every time a program makes a change to your system registry. That seems to happen quite a lot.

We probably haven't seen anything yet with modernization, imagine having to create a rule to turn on and turn off your PC. :lol: So many of the modern firewalls are just too annoying though.

We probably haven't seen anything yet with modernization, imagine having to create a rule to turn on and turn off your PC. :lol: So many of the modern firewalls are just too annoying though.

Maybe Microsoft will introduce that "feature" on Windows 8! :lol:

Dell Latitude D600

follow_me-c.png

What HOSTS file are you using? It's probably HPHOSTS, because I used to merge it with the MVPS HOSTS file and found that it blocked too many clean sites.

See the thread I just posted regarding the HPHOSTS file.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=23859

@ hello2007: Hello, hello.

Several apps claim to shield you from changes to your system. None are bulletproof if the bullet is big enough. :) There are others, but I've used these and they are good, and free.

1. Powershadow. See here

2. Sandboxie. http://www.sandboxie.com/

3. Returnil. http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/retur...system-personal

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

@ hello2007: Hello, hello.

Several apps claim to shield you from changes to your system. None are bulletproof if the bullet is big enough. :) There are others, but I've used these and they are good, and free.

1. Powershadow. See here

2. Sandboxie. http://www.sandboxie.com/

3. Returnil. http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/retur...system-personal

it seems fishy because if it is what it claims to be why isn't it popular, i was looking at bufferzone but they want money from you

avast, avira, malwarebytes, ad-aware, superantispyware, windows defender--------paragon, macrium reflect, ubuntu, terabyte

• 2 weeks later...

its ok to use sandboxie with av's and anti malware protection? i got currently avast, malwarebytes, pc tools firewall and threatfire running?

thanks, what other sandbox type software is there out there besides bufferzone? its hard to find any

also speaking of bufferzone, i noticed they had a free version that they dont offer anymore. Could i still use that for instant messenger etc or is that version garbage now that its not supported anymore

i also came across a program i cant find. It is a unique program ... called something shield ...

Could it have been ZoneAlarm Forcefield? Info

Costs money now, duplicates Returnil & Powershadow I guess. Looked at it a while back, didn't need it.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

uhhhh Login

is you a zombie master?

you resurrected a aug 2009 post :P

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com