Information on spyware defence.

Northerner

I enjoy looking at the CCleaner forum altho' many of the posts are way over my head.

If I type "quotes" into Google the first page that comes up is called "The Quotations Page" and there is a tracking cookie associated with this site. I know these tracking cookies are relatively harmless and I normally get rid of this one using CCleaner.

Based on information from the CCleaner website forum I downloaded the free editions of "Super Anti Spyware" and "Malwarebytes". I notice that "Spybot" and "Super Anti Spyware" spot the presence of the above tracking cookie whereas "Malwarebytes" and "Windows Defender" do not.

Does this say anything about the relative merits of these programmes (if that is the correct word) against spyware?

Lastly is there an optimum number of programmes, such as "Spybot", to have on a PC? In other words if one has too many do they conflict with each other?

• Moderators
Does this say anything about the effectiveness of these programmes (if that is the correct word) against spyware.

Lastly is there an optimum number of programmes, such as "Spybot", to have on a PC? In other words if one has too many do they conflict with each other?

Effectiveness is why you'll see two words used called: Layered Defense

Which means: Having more than one anti-malware scanner

What you have installed shouldn't have conflicts with each other if you only have one anti-virus resident and one anti-spyware/anti-malware resident.

For instance if you have some antivirus program (Avast, AVG, AntiVir, etc.) resident along with a paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware they will co-exist with each other, just as an example.

For instance if you have some antivirus program (Avast, AVG, AntiVir, etc.) resident along with a paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware they will co-exist with each other, just as an example.

Anyone know the difference between the Malwarebytes free version and the commercial version?

Real-time protection and scheduler for updates and scans.

Thanks, Hazel. Can you really run Malwarebytes resident concurrently with AntiVir Premium -- or could it cause some conflicts? Better yet, is it even necessary?? For some reason, I thought AntiVir included some malware detection stuff of it own.

• Moderators

You could run them along side each other. Without a doubt one will pick up something the other completely misses which goes back to that layered defense thing.

However if you scan every download with the free version of MBAM you'll probably be alright, it's what I do. The commercial version however has the advantage of having real-time protection to catch nasties that try to worm their way into your system when installing software with add-on garbage.

The commercial version however has the advantage of having real-time protection to catch nasties that try to worm their way into your system when installing software with add-on garbage.

So, Andavari, are you saying you don't actually use the commercial version yourself -- or feel it's necessary?

I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro and AntiVir Personal together and have had no problems.

The free version is good if you already have a real-time protection app in place.

Proud Graduate of GeekU - Learn how to remove malware

unite_teal.png

Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

UBgrey.png

My help is always free, but if you can, please donate_2.gif to help me continue the fight against malware.

I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro and AntiVir Personal together and have had no problems.

The free version is good if you already have a real-time protection app in place.

I might as well get another opinion . . . do you think Malwarebytes Pro is necessary with AntiVir Premium (resident)?

Malwarebytes is different from AntiVirus software. It adds a nice extra layer of protection. A nice thing about MBAM, as we call it, is that you pay for the Pro version once then you have it for a life time. Avira AntiVir Premium does protect against AntiAdware/AntiSpyware, but MBAM will add an extra layer of protection.

Its up to you if you want both AntiVir and MBAM resident protection. You can always disable real-time protection in MBAM if you don't like it.

unite_teal.png

UBgrey.png

My help is always free, but if you can, please donate_2.gif to help me continue the fight against malware.

Malwarebytes is different from AntiVirus software. It adds a nice extra layer of protection. A nice thing about MBAM, as we call it, is that you pay for the Pro version once then you have it for a life time. Avira AntiVir Premium does protect against AntiAdware/AntiSpyware, but MBAM will add an extra layer of protection.

Its up to you if you want both AntiVir and MBAM resident protection. You can always disable real-time protection in MBAM if you don't like it.

How is the resident version on resources?

The MBAM Protection Module uses very little system resources, it is very light, and is getting even lighter.

unite_teal.png

UBgrey.png

• Moderators
So, Andavari, are you saying you don't actually use the commercial version yourself -- or feel it's necessary?

I use the free version, as for the commercial version being a necessity it isn't for me but each user has their own needs, etc., so don't base your decision upon buying it upon mine since I'm cheap. :lol:

The MBAM Protection Module uses very little system resources, it is very light, and is getting even lighter.

That's why I used MBAM in my example above, instead of SAS. ;)