CCleaner Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kmillerusaf

Command line parameter for Add/Remove Programs to txt file

Hey all,

Just wondering if the devs had any plans on implementing a CLI parameter to export the add/remove list to text file... It would help a great deal with my backup batch file. Anyone else interested in seeing this done?

Take care,

Keith

I've never thought of it. However your ideal of exporting the Add/Remove list is what I'm going to do before I format and reinstall next time instead of trying to remember all the stuff I have installed.

Hey Andavari :)

I thought it would be nice to have it too. I'm glad I could put that bug in your ear although I'm sure I am not the first to think of it. I'm writing (or attempting to write) a backup batch file to backup things like my add/remove programs list, favorites for IE or firefox depending on if I am running it at work or at home, my documents and a couple of other folders, most likely the registry and anything on the desktop.

Got this bit of info today from a site........

The Add/Remove Program list is actually and expansion of:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.

However, everything there is not necessarily ALL that is installed on the

system. Some apps do not place anything in the Uninstall key. They have

there own uninstall feature installed with their apps (usually in the

installation folder).

A majority are there, but every entry is not necessarily a valid entry. You

have to export the key, and analyze it.

Anything with a DisplayName and a VALID UninstallString, is usually a safe

bet.

Just in case this info is useful to you.

I wonder what CCleaner actually pulls from because the list it has is usually pretty accurate. It mirrors what the Add/Remove applet has stored.

Well that Uninstall area of the registry does contain items that aren't of any use as well, such as sub-components of bloatware like HP Printer/Scanner Software, and other hidden stuff needed by Windows itself.

Quickly hides away from Hazelnuts wrath after writing HP Printer/Scanner Software. :lol:

@Andavari, My exact thoughts as well. While it contains more entries than doing "wmic product list instance" in command prompt, it has a lot of useful entries as well :( Hmm.. Don't know how I am going to do this through the batch file. It might be impossible at this point in the game :|

Well that Uninstall area of the registry does contain items that aren't of any use as well, such as sub-components of bloatware like HP Printer/Scanner Software, and other hidden stuff needed by Windows itself.

Quickly hides away from Hazelnuts wrath after writing HP Printer/Scanner Software. :lol:

100 lines in the uninstall area of the registry belong to programs, the other 754295984392 lines belong to HP printer/scanner software.