Avast 4.8.1351

Andavari

• Moderators

Anyone using Avast Antivirus can right click the Systray icon and select 'Updating->Program Update' to have the newest version installed. Restarting Windows is required.

Change Log:

Version 4.8.1351 - August 17, 2009:

? improvements in some unpackers (WinExec, Installers, Droppers)

? various fixes and improvements in the scanning engine

? Standard Shield: stability improvements in the kernel-mode drivers

? preparations for smoother migration to v5 (when it's released)

Anyone using Avast Antivirus can right click the Systray icon and select 'Updating->Program Update' to have the newest version installed. Restarting Windows is required.

Change Log:

I've noticed that Andavari but I'm using Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1296 because I have the serial number. The 4.8.1351 is the new version out recently. I get the little green flag come up every time I startup saying there is a new version out, click to install. I'm wondering if I will have to regsiter and pay if I do that?

So have you installed the newer version or are you still thinking about it?. If it saying "Restarting Windows is required" its abviously installed without you knowing. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
I've noticed that Andavari but I'm using Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1296 because I have the serial number.

You can upgrade to the new version without any issues, and no they aren't going to ask you to pay for anything. I'd recommend upgrading because from the change log statement it will allow a smoother transition to version 5 when it's released. Although when version 5 is released I'll probably just do a clean install of it.

There's absolutely no need to re-register until the registration process needs to be done again which they give 14 months for, and when that time arrives you only need to re-register to get another freeware license key to use the Home Edition for free.

The upgrades reboot is required because it has to replace in-use Avast program files.

And yes I've installed the upgrade, there's absolutely no reason not to.

• Moderators
one thing, I don't like reregister procedure.

I don't like that bit myself, however they probably want to know how many people their freeware is benefiting for their own in house statistics, and the whole process is very easy and fast. At least they're very generous in giving a full 14 months before re-registering is necessary.

Ok I've uninstalled Avast and installed Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1351 and the same serial number works for both editions. Aren't I lucky. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

So you uninstalled a payed for Avast for the freeware one? :huh: If your license for the commercial one still has time left on it why do that? :huh:

No I haven't paid for anything. Everytime you open Avast up of your desktop it asks for the registration number which a pain in the backside. I have 69,275 serials so I use one of those and it says "Thank you for registering" so I'm happy. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Remember a month ago or so there was an article linked here that mentioned Avast was gonna do a major interface make-over and upgrade? Why can't I find that article at Avasts' home page or blog anymore? Did they scrap the idea? This latest build had no interface changes.

I think you're talking about Avast 5. That's coming out in October. ;)

Yes I thought that when Avast 4 is only one available at the moment. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 3 weeks later...
I think you're talking about Avast 5. That's coming out in October. ;)

I downloaded it the other day but I haven't tried to install it yet. I can't post the link as its not allowed on here. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

Why not?

Plenty of beta softwares get links and writeups here with the usual ''use at your own risk'' warning ( FFox and Opera spring to mind)

Obviously with a beta av you have to be even more careful :)

Read all instructions

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Why not?

Plenty of beta softwares get links and writeups here with the usual ''use at your own risk'' warning ( FFox and Opera spring to mind)

I don't think so Hazel we aren't supposed to talk about Torrent sites never mind providing a link. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

You don't need a torrent link to download the latest Avast 5 beta version.

Yes but do they give you the serial or the crack? I know its supposed to be free but you still get the nagging messages enter the registration number everytime you click on the desktop icon. I have the serial. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
Yes but do they give you the serial or the crack? I know its supposed to be free but you still get the nagging messages enter the registration number everytime you click on the desktop icon. I have the serial. ;)

The problem isn't about torrent sites as they can be used legitimately. Instead it's your recent posting about "serial", "crack" which is definitely warez like talk which is in direct violation with forum rule #2.

Downloading software from torrents and installing it will end up having you back into the Spyware Hell part of the forum asking for removal help in no time.

Are you sure?

The current Avast 5 version is a trunk build (and it's free).

The paid versions haven't been even made yet! :blink:

I agree with Andavari, you might end up in the Spyware Hell forum.

Are you sure?

The current Avast 5 version is a trunk build (and it's free).

The paid versions haven't been even made yet! :blink:

Yes I'm sure. Avast 4 is suposidly free so how come you click on the desktop icon and it asks to the serial number everytime?

Yes I have things in place to trap these now. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best