Stage 1 always stops at 99%?

I installed it and ran it on my C Drive. It found over 40,000 deleted files-not sure if that's normal or what. Anyway, no matter what I do, even if I restart my PC before running it, it always stops at 99% at the first stage. It will say 0 seconds are left, but then after some minutes go by, this will turn to a 1 and so on. I think a deleted log file may be what is keeping me from opening any Microsoft Office programs without being prompted for an installation. I really need to get whatever I deleted back, but nothing has worked. This was my last hope.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem. After it reached 98% on scan #1 with 25 min. to go, it crashed and the files list was empty. Tried restarting the scan but it went back to square 1 and started over. As the computer is slower, it takes almost 24 hours to find just over 690,000 files, and it never gets to stage 2, whatever that is. What it needs is a progress file that can be logged on a different disk and from which it can continue scanning where it left off, also it needs to be crash proof. It also needs to recognize many more file types unambiguously. Example: WordPerfect can also use a .doc format but generally saves as .wpd format. The program also needs to distinguish between a Microsim .sch (schematic) file and a Microsoft .sch (Schedule) file. Wordstar uses the .WS extension, and my disk includes backups of old Wordstar files. There are many other examples. Restricting the formats recognized to just a few common ones and misidentifying some formats fom their extensions doesnt always work. The program needs to get a lot smarter!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I installed it and ran it on my C Drive. It found over 40,000 deleted files-not sure if that's normal or what. Anyway, no matter what I do, even if I restart my PC before running it, it always stops at 99% at the first stage. It will say 0 seconds are left, but then after some minutes go by, this will turn to a 1 and so on. I think a deleted log file may be what is keeping me from opening any Microsoft Office programs without being prompted for an installation. I really need to get whatever I deleted back, but nothing has worked. This was my last hope.

This can happen if you have bad sectors on a harddisk. Run MS checkdisk to repair errors & bad sectors.

Go to start, run, & paste in chkdsk C:/r then hit enter. Or select another drive letter if it isn't C:

After you run this, at least we can eliminate the bad sector issue. Also, instead of searching for all content types, try doing it a few types at the time.

For example, try searching pics, then docs, then vids, to get an idea what it is locking up on. I have had success in only recovering 1 type at the time, when trying to scan for everything failed! I was able to get an idea where it was hanging up on. This way, you could potentially hit cancel if nothing else works, then after a min or so at 98 or 99%, try hitting cancel & see if all the files it finds are in the list?

If this STILL doesn't work, try finding a drive at least as large as yours, run a hex dump image of the entire drive (exact clone) to another disk, then see if it is recoverable!

P.S. Always recover to another drive so the data you are recovering doesn't chance being over-written by the data you are un-deleting!

Hi,

same problem with 1.29 and 1.30?

Only english is a selectable language!

Any solution ????

:(

This can happen on install. After install, open Recuva, then go to the options button. Under the general tab, select the language you want & click ok.