CCleaner removes user "Documents" properties

tvtvtv

I am running Windows Vista SP2 64-bit. I have run into an issue with CCleaner in the past on this machine and I thought it is finally time I reported this bug. CCleaner removes user "Documents" properties from the computer and I cannot get them back. It does it to all user profiles. My fix has been to revert the OS to the last system backup prior to using CCleaner. It had this same bug in SP1 as well.

post-30941-1250383828_thumb.jpg

post-30941-1250383828_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I don't think anyone has mentioned this happening to them before.

Is there anything different about how you have set you system up, such as read/write restraints for other users etc?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

No, I am using the default CCleaner settings, and no read/write restraints of any kind other than the defaults from setting up new user accounts. It does it to the Administrator account as well. It is a Dell Studio 1737 laptop model # PP31L purchased from Best Buy.

====================================================================

I don't think anyone has mentioned this happening to them before.

Is there anything different about how you have set you system up, such as read/write restraints for other users etc?

CCleaner removes user "Documents" properties from the computer.

Different people may have different understanding of "Documents".

It would certainly help me if I could compare "before" and "after" screen shots of the CCleaner action.

Alan

Well, as far as my understanding of "Documents" goes, I am referring to when I click on "Start" - then right click on "Documents" which sits directly below the logged in user name - then click on Properties. As seen in the image I uploaded of said Properties, there is nothing there, including the ability to change the location of the default location for "Documents".

As far as "before" and "after" screen shots of the CCleaner action, that will take some time as well as thought. I'm not sure how I can get a screen shot of ALL of the actions in a long list of stuff which one needs to scroll down the list to see.

==================================================================

Different people may have different understanding of "Documents".

It would certainly help me if I could compare "before" and "after" screen shots of the CCleaner action.

Alan

Well, as far as my understanding of "Documents" goes, I am referring to when I click on "Start" - then right click on "Documents"

==================================================================

You misunderstand

I wanted you to REPEAT the self same screenshot BEFORE Ccleaner "removed the properties".

i.e. I wanted the blanks filled in so I could see what you were talking about.

I was uncertain because there is in fact no "Documents" so far as I am concerned on Windows XP.

The THREE nearest matches are :-

"Documents and Settings"

"My Documents"

"Shared Documents"

Using your navigation directions from Start I now understand Vista "Documents" corresponds to XP "My Documents".

Moving on.

Do you restrict cleaning to Files only, or do you also cleanse the registry ?

I was not asking for "a screen shot of ALL of the actions in a long list of stuff",

and if you present such a list I would probably not recognise where the problem might be,

but there are experts here who have far more experience than I.

Instead of many screens shots all you need to do is run "Analyze",

and either on or under "Analysis Complete" right click and then hit "Save to Text File",

which you can then post.

Regards

Alan

OK, got it. I will magically send the OS back in time using my previously cloned backup then perform some baseline tests, as well as the after CCleaner tests, along all pertinent "save as text" information. Yes I do clean both files as well as the registry. I will do them one at a time, get the text info, reboot, then capture a screenshot of the "Documents" properties. And - yes, "Properties" in Vista is comparable to "My Properties" in XP. The same is true for "Computer" in Vista vs "My Computer" in XP.

Of coarse, you do realize that if you are going to try to diagnose this particular problem using XP as your referance OS, you may very well NOT end up with the same issues or parameters as I am using Vista 64-bit. Nevertheless, I will take all the help I can get. Thank you.

==============================================================================

You misunderstand

I wanted you to REPEAT the self same screenshot BEFORE Ccleaner "removed the properties".

i.e. I wanted the blanks filled in so I could see what you were talking about.

I was uncertain because there is in fact no "Documents" so far as I am concerned on Windows XP.

The THREE nearest matches are :-

"Documents and Settings"

"My Documents"

"Shared Documents"

Using your navigation directions from Start I now understand Vista "Documents" corresponds to XP "My Documents".

Moving on.

Do you restrict cleaning to Files only, or do you also cleanse the registry ?

I was not asking for "a screen shot of ALL of the actions in a long list of stuff",

and if you present such a list I would probably not recognise where the problem might be,

but there are experts here who have far more experience than I.

Instead of many screens shots all you need to do is run "Analyze",

and either on or under "Analysis Complete" right click and then hit "Save to Text File",

which you can then post.

Regards

Alan

Hi

I have special skills in real-time embedded computer systems using 8 bit processors,

having spent 30 years designing both the hardware and the software.

That gives me the ability to see where a problem might be resolved with additional information,

hence my involvement in this thread.

I have now been using XP for 3 years and am still learning, so it is unlikely I will be able to make constructive comments upon what happens on Vista - but there are others here with that capability.

I use CCleaner 2.20.920.

"Save to Text File" works as I described for cleaning files, you can right click on a file to be deleted, or you can right click on the empty space below the last such file.

When cleaning the registry this option only appears at the bottom of a list of options when you right click a key,

you get nothing at all for a right click on the empty space below the last such key.

I have recently learnt of and started to use reparse points. I believe Vista makes extensive use of them for backward compatibility with applications that expect to find data at "My Documents" etc.

It occurs to me that if a reparse point was accidentally in a TEMP location and was targeting your "Documents",

then when any junk cleaner ( including CCleaner ) cleans TEMP it would not be aware that it was actually blowing away your "Documents".

It is a very reasonable assumption that you would then be complaining about loss of actual files rather than loss of properties,

but 30 years experience has taught me that assumptions should never be trusted, their only benefit is saving time as one lurches from one disaster to the next ! !

Best wishes

Alan