CCleaner hangs when cleaning IE history

fastcolts

CCleaner 2.22.968, and several previous versions, "hangs" for a couple of minutes when cleaning Internet Explorer history. Eventually, it will complete the process and clean all checked items. I can uncheck IE History and it is blazing fast. Not sure, but this seemed to begin when I installed Windows Search and hangs regardless of whether or not Windows Search is running or closed. Ideas?

Thanks!

• Moderators

Hi fastcolts, and welcome to Piriform.

Was that "Windows Search" part of a recent update from Microsoft?

Maybe uninstall it and see if it actually is the problem. You would need to check the "Show Updates" box in Add/Remove programs to do so.

EDIT: It probably starts with Windows if it's from MS. I can't check as I passed on that update.

DennisD,

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Yes, it was from a recent Microsoft update, and uninstalling it solved the problem. CCleaner cleans IE History quickly without Windows Search installed. The "hang" reoccurs after reinstalling Windows Search.

I hate to give it up because it is so quick, thorough, and a huge improvement over the standard search engine in XP. I wonder if it is just something peculiar with my machine since I cannot find any other references to the issue in the forum. I normally use Firefox, so I may just uncheck the IE History box in CCleaner so I can keep Windows Search installed.

Thanks again!

Hi fastcolts, and welcome to Piriform.

Was that "Windows Search" part of a recent update from Microsoft?

Maybe uninstall it and see if it actually is the problem. You would need to check the "Show Updates" box in Add/Remove programs to do so.

EDIT: It probably starts with Windows if it's from MS. I can't check as I passed on that update.

• Moderators

With it being an MS update, I would assume a lot of people have it installed, so maybe the CCleaner devs will look at the problem with a view to a later version of CCleaner.

Or maybe others who have installed this update, and are not having a similar problem, will assist by posting that information.

With it being an MS update, I would assume a lot of people have it installed, so maybe the CCleaner devs will look at the problem with a view to a later version of CCleaner.

Or maybe others who have installed this update, and are not having a similar problem, will assist by posting that information.

I will also install it. Seems great.

I will also install it. Seems great.

I tired of the standard built in Windows search.

Too slow, too difficult to control, FAR to inclined to plunge into Acronis TIB files and then crash phenomenally.

I am more than happy with Super Finder from http://freesoftland.sytes.net/products.html

They have now released "Super Finder XT" - but I have no experience of that because I have only just visited their web-site to confirm my update link was still correct.

Alan

• Moderators
I am more than happy with Super Finder from http://freesoftland.sytes.net/products.html

They have now released "Super Finder XT" - but I have no experience of that because I have only just visited their web-site to confirm my update link was still correct.

Alan

Only had a quick look at this one, but it looks OK and there's a ZIP version (no install).

Thanks for the link Alan.

Only had a quick look at this one, but it looks OK and there's a ZIP version (no install).

Thanks for the link Alan.

I fully agree.

For any new tool/application I create a short-list of candidates that do NOT install,

preferably that make no use of the registry and hold all settings etc. in their own *.ini.

If they never use the registry, and leave it for me to add a desktop short cut they are top of the list.

I also like Portable Apps which also never install.

But am wary of some offerings that have been adapted from registry oriented applications.

My experience has been that when launched they swap "certain" registry keys with what they hold in an *.ini file,

and when they close they swap everything back so the final registry is exactly as it was, and the *.ini is updated with changes.

That all works perfectly, but unfortunately it uses a registry manipulator that always has a random variable name,

and my own Malware protection has never seen that name before so I get one or two "suspicous action" alerts to acknowledge.

Regards

Alan

• 3 years later...

Which OS & CCleaner version? Have you tried "Run as Administrator" when you launch CCleaner?

Do you have Secure File Deletion ticked under Options/Settings? How about Wipe MFT Free Space?

Where does CCleaner seem to hang or slow down?

• 10 months later...

I have the same issue, if i untick Internet explorer > history then it works, but if it is ticked it hangs. (i dont think it actually completes, i left it for a day!)

I've tried running as administrator, manually clearing all IE history and other things like temp files. (I have not restarted my computer, for two reason downtime and it not a permanent fix).

CCleaner - v4.04.4197

IE - 10.0.7 (KB2846071)

OS - Win8 64bit

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue, if i untick Internet explorer > history then it works, but if it is ticked it hangs. (i dont think it actually completes, i left it for a day!)

I've tried running as administrator, manually clearing all IE history and other things like temp files. (I have not restarted my computer, for two reason downtime and it not a permanent fix).

CCleaner - v4.04.4197

IE - 10.0.7 (KB2846071)

OS - Win8 64bit

Mine has been doing the same thing since a couple of updates ago. It is annoying. It gets hung up for a couple of minutes to clean IE cookies and then the rest goes quickly.

• 2 years later...

Dear fastcolts,

I FOUND THE ANSWER. I know your post was 2009, but a search for "CC hangs" comes up with this thread FIRST in google. FIRST of all, I'm a big fan of CCleaner. Thanks for making a difference in this world!

SECOND, help for everyone who's searching for a solution to your issue, the EXACT same issue I faced for the past few days. THE SOLUTION IS EASY.  But first, a brief explanation:

YES, CC seems to hang at "Internet Explorer", but that's only because that's one of the very first areas that's cleaned by CCleaner. I tried all different solutions, and the only one I found actually  immediately solved my problem was ADDING CCleaner folder as an EXCEPTION to your Windows Security Essentials. 

'Nuf talk! The SOLUTION is simple. JUST DO THIS:

1. Open Windows Security Essentials
  2. Go to Settings tab
  3. Go down to "Excluded files & locations"
  4. Then add the CCleaner folder as an excluded location by hitting "BROWSE" button, then browse to (usually):  C:\Program Files:\CCleaner   ....and hit "ADD". It'll then show up in the lower pane.

That's it. Now Windows Security Essentials won't stop CCleaner every time it's trying to clean your computer and make your life simpler! (P.S. This same exclusion "trick" is really helpful for OTHER folders for programs that you know & trust where you don't want constant interference).

This might also explain why you think it happened after your Microsoft Update (and then resolved after you restored to before that point) ...perhaps there were new definitions that downloaded to Microsoft Security Essentials...but that's less important for now.

Adding entire folders (or, for a more targeted approach, just the processes) on programs that you know & trust to Windows Security Essentials allows these types of programs to do their thing.

Hope this helps....and wow...just in time for Christmas! Did my good deed, lol. Good luck everyone.