Store Comments on Tools | Startuo

On the Tools|Startup pane [where I can enable or disable programs] it would be to great to be able to include text notes or hyperlinks to web sites so that I could keep track of all the research that I have done in finding out what each of these programs does, and why I have removed it.

For example, today I disabled RTHDCPL.EXE - but it is not apparent from that name alone that this is associated with my RealTek sound card, and so that if I later get problems with my sound card that is all I need to re-enable.

It could be added. But a quick google search won't hurt :)

For Example

Perhaps I didn't really make myself clear enough. Like most people I have lots and lots of items in the startup group. I go through the list on the internet, as in your Google search, and then disable the ones I don't want.

Weeks later, after other applications have been added, I go through the whole list again to disable things I don't need - but I have to check everything that is enabled, because I can't remember what most things do, whereas if I had been able to put a note by things, I would only have to check the items without notes.

Similarly, as in the RealTek example, if I had only one item disabled, it would be easy to check. But as I have lots of items disabled, in order to find out which one applies to the sound card, I would have to recheck every single disabled item. A notes field would help save the effort of keep having to recheck on Google.

Do you mean something like this?

2jakc9l.jpg

I wouldnt find it any use but i can see how it could be for some people.

But why do you have so many start up entrys? Can you honestly say you need EVERY entry thats in your startup?

If the answers no then why slow system start up? Why keep disabled entrys? Why not just delete?

It's extreamly rare i disable an entry. If i dont need it then it shouldnt be there.

If you disabled RTHDCPL.EXE and then had problems with your sound card and didn't realise this entry was for your sound card then you did not do the correct research first. Once you know what the file is, read the user comments below. People can share what there experience was when they disabled an entry.

But always make sure you know what you are disabling. Always use a trusted site.

No fate but what we make

First - the screen shot you produced is EXACTLY what I want (assuming that I can type whatever I want into the comment field)

Second - the number of entries I have in my startup group is 31 - not very many - of which 12 are currently disabled.

There are some entries which I have temporarily disabled (ie they provide functionality which I will need at some stage, but not currently - eg Daemon tools, for ISO images - I use it only occasionally at the moment, so don't need it to be preloaded - at other times I use it a lot so it is handy to have it start automatically.) Other entries I have disabled for other reasons, where the trusted sites have said that they are probably not necessary (but not definitely unnecessary) so I have left them in for the time being - as disabled - by way of backup.

But the Third point is this: in your example you have NvCplDaemon. You have decided to keep this. But why have you so decided? In three months time, when your list has been extended and you have installed several more applications, you won't know which items relate to new applications, and which you have decided to keep permanently. So, unless you have a good memory, you would have to search for NvCplDaemon again, to find out if it was something new - which could be removed - or something that you had already reviewed and wanted to keep permanently.

So I am simply suggesting that being able to apply a short comment - like "Keep - Sound card" would help speed up the process of reviewing the list.

But the Third point is this: in your example you have NvCplDaemon. You have decided to keep this. But why have you so decided? In three months time, when your list has been extended and you have installed several more applications, you won't know which items relate to new applications, and which you have decided to keep permanently. So, unless you have a good memory, you would have to search for NvCplDaemon again, to find out if it was something new - which could be removed - or something that you had already reviewed and wanted to keep permanently.

So I am simply suggesting that being able to apply a short comment - like "Keep - Sound card" would help speed up the process of reviewing the list.

First again, I do think it's a good idea maybe to add a comment colum for new users. I personally would not use this as my entrys have pretty much stayed the same for years. But also this would be extreamly easy to impliment into ccleaner.

As for NvCplDaemon. I kept it because i very much know what it is. I installed it myself. In 3 months time my list wont extend unles i give the application the go a head to write to the registrys startup. And if it add's it self it will be quickly removed. I check the list every day. I know every entry and always will.

I do think 31 is quite exsessive. But that obviously is your choice.

Over all i vote yes to your idea. I could see it helping alot of users.

No fate but what we make

First again, I do think it's a good idea maybe to add a comment colum for new users. I personally would not use this as my entrys have pretty much stayed the same for years. But also this would be extreamly easy to impliment into ccleaner.

As for NvCplDaemon. I kept it because i very much know what it is. I installed it myself. In 3 months time my list wont extend unles i give the application the go a head to write to the registrys startup. And if it add's it self it will be quickly removed. I check the list every day. I know every entry and always will.

I do think 31 is quite exsessive. But that obviously is your choice.

Over all i vote yes to your idea. I could see it helping alot of users.

A much better option would be to just add the ability to hide the startup items you know you will need. This will prevent you from seeing them in the future, & hence from having to decide why you disabled it, etc, etc.

They could add a .ini file that would be generated automatically in the program folder if you decided to hide certain startup items that you knew you always will be using! Not hide from windows loading, hide from ccleaner cleaning.

But then, this could present a problem cleaning certain malwares from machines if they added the ability to hide items, then someone hid a ton of them, & YOU had to clean it up.

I'm glad my idea has had a favourable reception in the last couple of posts.

The number of startup items may seem to you quite large - I have pruned a couple more things out this morning. But my list does seem to keep growing as I add new programs (maybe other people don't have this problem). Also, when I go to help other people sort out their computers which are in a mess - their lists are so long that my list is positively petite by comparison.

Thanks

I'm glad my idea has had a favourable reception in the last couple of posts.

The number of startup items may seem to you quite large - I have pruned a couple more things out this morning. But my list does seem to keep growing as I add new programs (maybe other people don't have this problem). Also, when I go to help other people sort out their computers which are in a mess - their lists are so long that my list is positively petite by comparison.

Thanks

I really cannot see how any one in the world needs 31 processes load on system startup. How could you possibly need to access or run instantly 31 applications?

Can you show me your startup list? im intrigued.

No fate but what we make

Don't worry Stephen about how many processess you have at startup. I have 39 running in taskmanager at the moment :)

And i have 38 running. I'm just personally dont see the point of an entry running at startup if you dont need it. we dont just turn are head lights on in the car as soon as we get into it just because the options there to do so.

There is no issue or worry i guess we just all are different :)

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

I do understand why you say about processes running at startup.

There are quite a few we can do without, trouble is on advising others what not to run. It can be tricky. :)

I started by researching each entry at Black Viper's site first and then would turn off one at a time and run for a little while to see if anything went pear-shaped. I also did a lot of googling.

I never let software updaters run at startup, but that's just how I personally like it, it may not suit others.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I really cannot see how any one in the world needs 31 processes load on system startup. How could you possibly need to access or run instantly 31 applications?

Can you show me your startup list? im intrigued.

That's really the point of my request in the first place. I clean up all of the startups to get a reasonably small number. Then I add or update programs and the list just grows again (Adobe adds a quick starter every time I upgrade, Java add something to check for updates and so on). Now I know that I don't want any of these things and simply remove them. They are fairly obvious - I can tell by the name. But others are not so obvious - so I do some research, and get rid of what I know I don't want.

What I would also like to be able to do is annotate those that I want to keep - to say whether definitely keep it (if I know that it is important to my system) or to hold it in abeyance for review if I have a problem with a system later.

Maybe I am being unduly cautious - but I know that if I take this approach I will minimise the risk of problems whilst getting quite a smooth startup.

The total number of enabled items is 17: they include Antivirus, Firewall, Newsreader, etc. So they are more than useful - they are essential. Some of the others I could possibly remove - but the comments feature would definitely assist. Of course I could just take a screen shot (there is no export feature in CCleaner) and make some notes in a text document, but if comments could be added in CCleaner itself, this seems to be the ideal solution.

A perfect add on with the coment thing, how about a google search for lets say there is something on you startup that your not sure what it is, you simply press a button beside it on right click then it loads your browser searching on google for the file and/or what the program is called.