Is this Proof PeerGuardian blocks worms?

englishmen

Hay check this out i have been using PeerGuardian for quite a while and use all available ips ranges i.e. ads, p2p, spyware etc and until now i was not sure if there was any point in using all because i did not know if they actualy worked. I think i now have proof check out the below screenshot. PeerGuardian blocked a worm called W32 Gaobot.

untitled12bu.th.jpg

• Moderators

@ englishmen

That's very impressive with it blocking worms!

Can you input your own things to block into PeerGuardian, such as websites, images, IP addresses, and IP Ranges?

Also what is it's format for blocking, is it at all anything like what CookieCop and WebWasher can do with wildcards, which looks like this?

*badsite*

*.badsite.*

*.badsite.com

@ englishmen

That's very impressive with it blocking worms!

Can you input your own things to block into PeerGuardian, such as websites, images, IP addresses, and IP Ranges?

Also what is it's format for blocking, is it at all anything like what CookieCop and WebWasher can do with wildcards, which looks like this?

*badsite*

*.badsite.*

*.badsite.com

I think you are thinking about doing something that i tried a few weeks ago which was i was going to use it to block known sites that infect a pc with spyware etc also i was going to use it to block ad servers etc but could not get it working.The thing is it already has a ad and spyware ip range which apart from the screenshot i have not seen working also the ad blocking ip range does not seem to work i mean i do not use adblock plus for fun its just the peerguardian range does not work. You can use wildcards in avast anti virus to block sites.

Edit: Does anyone know of app i can type in a url and it displays the ip address for that url.

P.S. I know you can find the ip address of a url via the command prompt but i think it is easier to do it via nice little free app

• Moderators
The thing is it already has a ad and spyware ip range which apart from the screenshot i have not seen working also the ad blocking ip range does not seem to work i mean i do not use adblock plus for fun its just the peerguardian range does not work. You can use wildcards in avast anti virus to block sites.

Oh well, I'll just stick to what I already have. Thanks for saving me the download time by telling me that!

When you state Avast can block sites, are you talking about the free Home Edition or the commercial Pro edition?

The Free edition, double click the avast icon in the taskbar click web shield then customize then click the url blocking tab.

A month or so back i wanted to speed up firefox's loading time up so i got rid of a load of extension's i did not use and i was going to create a little filter that blocked ad's and it worked. But to be truly affective you need to enter a load of url's and and i could not find the file with your url block list so i abandoned the idea. Maybe you can find the file where the url block list is kept then ill give it another go. There is one other problem tho it only blocks url's no advanced filtering of ads can be done so there will most likely still be ads but I'm thinking they will most likely only be google type ad's which i can live with.

Edit: Does anyone know of app i can type in a url and it displays the ip address for that url.

This link is for a site that will do this. The site also offers some other features such as packet route tracing. It includes a link to an app which unfortunately isn't free but the online tool returns quite a bit of info at no charge.