Defraggler v1.12

MrG

• Admin

dflogo.png

1. Quick Defrag

Defragmentation is a great way to speed up your PC, but it can also take a fair bit of time. If you remember to start Defraggler before you go to sleep, you'll have a faster PC in the morning.

If you run Defraggler (or any defrag program) while you continue to work, though, you'll notice a slight decrease in performance. Now there's a way for you to do a faster, less involved defrag whenever you want.

Introducing Defraggler's Quick Defrag. When you use the Quick Defrag option, Defraggler will operate about 3-4 times faster. The compromise, though, is that it won't use the most intensive, optimal algorithm to reorganize your files.

Defraggler still works the same way. Once you're ready to defrag, either click the Defrag button, or click the down-arrow next to it and select Quick Defrag.

Download Defraggler now!

2. exFAT compatibility

If you use the new exFAT file system for your flash drives under Windows Vista SP1, you'll be pleased to know that Defraggler now has 100% support for exFAT.

Here's the full list of changes:

• Added Quick Defrag feature.
  • Added exFAT compatibility.
  • Architecture changes to improve defrag performance.
  • Improved placement of most commonly used files.
  • Various UI tweaks.

Download Defraggler v1.12 today at www.defraggler.com. Want to keep current on all new releases? Sign up for the Piriform newsletter while you're there.

View the full blog post

• Moderators

Hi Mr G,

I'm interested to see that you support exFat drives, more specifically that you mention defragging flash drives. (I know that some geeks will insist on installing an exFat system on a hard drive, but exFat was intended for flash drives and this is what I'm concentrating on.)

Numerous posts on this forum, and inumerable posts on the great web out there, say that it's a waste of time to defrag a solid state device. After all, the whole concept is just wrong, how can you possibly reduce head movement on a SSD? What benefit would it be to have contiguous data on a SSD?

Fuirthermore, most if not all SSDs have some sort of wear levelling protocal, where data is written pseudo-randomly across the device so that one area is not used any more than anywhere else. As this (I guess) resides in the internal flash controller then the defragger won't be able to override it so that the result of the defrag will be randomly scattered data, just the same as it was before the defrag started.

I will readily defer to Mr G and the Piriformer's superior knowledge and experience in these matters. I'm just curious. I dare say that if exFat is easy to implement then it makes Defraggler more comprehensive. Maybe it's similar to Gutmann, pointless but customer demand.