MyDefrag

tcoffeep

Not sure if it's completely respectful of me to post this (given that Piriform develops Defraggler), but MyDefrag (the program formerly known as JkDefrag) just released a new version. Get it at filehippo. It's pretty damn nice, though. I think this will be my once-a-month defrag with Defraggler running daily.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

Not sure if it's completely respectful of me to post this (given that Piriform develops Defraggler), but MyDefrag (the program formerly known as JkDefrag) just released a new version. Get it at filehippo. It's pretty damn nice, though. I think this will be my once-a-month defrag with Defraggler running daily.

It's probably fine. Heck, it's advertised in the FileHippo update section right on the CCleaner homepage.

It's MUCH slower at defragging/optimizing than IOBit SmartDefrag, but it seems to do a more thorough job. I think I'll stick with IOBit for weekly defrags, and the new MyDefrag for monthly runs.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators
I think I'll stick with IOBit for weekly defrags, and the new MyDefrag for monthly runs.

You're just going to create more work for your system using two different system defrag programs, one will typically undo the optimization the other has done.

well i was reading about this defrager and isee that it deletes some restore points.

the program looks good,and nowadays there are more defraggers..

Why do I have more diskspace after running MyDefrag?

Running MyDefrag can cause the Microsoft Shadow Copy service to clean up (delete) some restore points, resulting in more free diskspace. It can happen with all defragmenters and optimizers, not only MyDefrag.

The Microsoft Shadow Copy service makes snapshots of the disk, and is used to get a consistent view of the disk by services such as restore points and backup. MyDefrag does not change files (it only defragments or moves them), but it does change the disk (moving a file is a change to the disk), and the Shadow Copy service remembers all these changes in big files in the "C:\System Volume Information\...." folder. When the total amount of diskspace used by shadow copies exceeds a threshold then the oldest snapshot (restore point) is automatically deleted.

To release the diskspace used by restore points see the How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP article on the Microsoft website. The threshold can be changed with the "vssadmin" command, see the vssadmin manpage.

In my opinion Microsoft should make the Shadow Copy service smarter, so that it uses less disk space. MyDefrag is build on top of the Microsoft defragmentation API, so it is entirely possible for the Shadow Copy service to see what is happening.

About restore points

Restore points are a backup of certain Windows system files, such as drivers, registry, menu, desktop settings, and more. They do not backup anything else, no user files whatsoever. Also, restore points are deleted automatically (see above). You should therefore NOT rely on restore points in any way. Personally I always turn them off, saving a ton of diskspace.

4.1.1 released today.

Fantasy is the celebration of what we no longer are: individuals certain of our meaningfulness in a meaningful world. The wish-fulfillment that distinguishes fantasy from other genres is not to be the all-conquering hero, but to live in a meaningful world. The fact that such worlds are enchanted worlds, worlds steeped in magic, simply demonstrates the severity of our contemporary crisis.
Scott R. Bakker, Why Fantasy and Why Now?

RPG Codex - Putting the 'Role' back in RPG.

The Age of Decadence - A game everyone should look forward to.

• Moderators
You should therefore NOT rely on restore points in any way.

I looked at those comments from the MyDefrag documentation about restore points and think it's bad advice as they can resurrect a system that's having issues back into a good working state.

To each their own though. I leave system restore activated on my system and couple it with ERUNT, and together combined they can really save from having to format and reinstall Windows.

• 8 months later...
well i was reading about this defrager and isee that it deletes some restore points.

Umm, you've misinterpreted that quote.

1. The program (MyDefrag) does not remove restore points. Shadow Copy does when it detects that a lot of files have moved, such as when you defrag your computer (using any program). So MS thinks you've made config/file changes, and deletes old restore points to make room for a new one. This happens with all defrag progs. AFAIA it would happen with Defraggler too, since it is MS internal routines that govern restore points. Someone can I'm sure correct me if I'm wrong.

2. The author of MyDefrag happens to also not believe in restore points. That's a separate issue, but it's not tied to his defrag'ing program (or any other).

• Moderators
Hope they don't steal the databases of others just because they're too lazy to make their own.

Perhaps they've learned their lesson after getting caught, then again maybe not. In any event I'll never use their software again and had completely stopped using their software almost two full years before they were caught.

• Augeas locked this topic