CCleaner doesn't completely clean Flash Player

rjo98

I love CCleaner, but I came across this little website that shows that my CCleaner, even though Flash Player is checked, isn't being completely cleaned.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager07.html

I would think most people would want this crap cleaned as well. It showed a ton of websites that I had only visited once, or some I didn't even know I visited. Any thoughts from the Piriform crew?

• Moderators

Hi rjo98, and welcome to Piriform.

Some of us are aware of that fact, and I'm sure the developers will take notice of recent posts regarding this.

I believe you'll find all the names displayed on that site residing in one Flash Cookie (settings.sol file) in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

You can add that file to CCleaners "Include" feature .. "CCleaner\Options\Add Folder or File".

You'll also need "Custom Files And Folders" checked in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced" for it to work.

Hope that helps.

Hi rjo98, and welcome to Piriform.

Some of us are aware of that fact, and I'm sure the developers will take notice of recent posts regarding this.

I believe you'll find all the names displayed on that site residing in one Flash Cookie (settings.sol file) in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

You can add that file to CCleaners "Include" feature .. "CCleaner\Options\Add Folder or File".

You'll also need "Custom Files And Folders" checked in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced" for it to work.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I will give it a shot with the Custom Files and Folders approach for now.

• 2 weeks later...
I love CCleaner, but I came across this little website that shows that my CCleaner, even though Flash Player is checked, isn't being completely cleaned.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/document..._manager07.html

I would think most people would want this crap cleaned as well. It showed a ton of websites that I had only visited once, or some I didn't even know I visited. Any thoughts from the Piriform crew?

While this is a good temp fix. This was auto cleaning with older versions. Seems to be broke in the new one.

While this is a good temp fix. This was auto cleaning with older versions. Seems to be broke in the new one.

Without testing I very much doubt that CCleaner became broken - more likely that these Flash cookies have only recently appeared. Perhaps if you download one of the earlier versions of CCleaner you can test whether it really did clean what the latest omits.

I do NOT bother the delete individual files / cookies.

I zap the entire FlashPlayer junk with this single line in Winapp2.ini :-

FileKey1=%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\|*.*|RECURSE

N.B. This also cleans the same in my daughter's profile, even though I have no access to her profile.

Alan

Without testing I very much doubt that CCleaner became broken - more likely that these Flash cookies have only recently appeared. Perhaps if you download one of the earlier versions of CCleaner you can test whether it really did clean what the latest omits.

I do NOT bother the delete individual files / cookies.

I zap the entire FlashPlayer junk with this single line in Winapp2.ini :-

FileKey1=%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\|*.*|RECURSE

N.B. This also cleans the same in my daughter's profile, even though I have no access to her profile.

Alan

How can you claim its not broken if you haven't even tested it? I have tested it on an older copy and it seems to work fine. Where the new one doesn't.

How can you claim its not broken if you haven't even tested it? I have tested it on an older copy and it seems to work fine. Where the new one doesn't.

That is NOT what you said before.

I had the impression you were comparing how old CCleaner was dealing with old cookies some time ago.

There was NOTHING in your earlier post to indicate that you were not troubled by a new generation of cookies.

Although you do not explicitly state this,

I deduce from your latest post that you have now re-tested with the old CCleaner and it removes the cookies.

I am more than happy to accept this as evidence that cookie cleaning is now broken.

Incidentally I NEVER claimed that CCleaner was not broken,

merely that I doubted it - with the implication that further evidence would be appropriate that it was not a cookie technology change.

Alan

The problem with deleting the settings.sol file is that it stores all the customized settings you can configure, at the link given above, under different tabs. Like for example if you've unchecked the "update notification" box then it's reset back to default etc. and you'll be prompted with the pop-up window when the new flash version is available. I presonally don't like that.

So seems I have to manually delete the sites on the macromedia's page with the "delete all sites" button.

Or has anyone experimented with different settings there? Maybe you can disable some option and this list wouldn't be created and stored at all?