Please make CCleaner understand * and %APPDATA% - simple DOS things

Alan_B

Please give Analysis (and Cleaning) a better understanding of *

I am able to add to the CCleaner.ini (by notepad, and ALSO by CCleaner GUI) the line

Include04=PATH|C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\|dbg*.*.txt

Unfortunately Analysis ignores it,

and I have not dared test cleansing incase it scrubs the whole directory.

Consequently for multiple junk files I need multiple lines of "Include..."

Please permit environmental variables such as %APPDATA%

A large amount of ADOBE / MACROMEDIA / FLASH RUBBISH is taken out by

Include08=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\|*.*

Twice as much is taken out by

Include09=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Suzanne\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\|*.*

Please note that "Include08=..." can be stipulated by either a Notepad Edit of the CCleaner GUI,

but because I have no access to my daughter's profile I cannot use the CCleaner GUI to go beyond

Include09=PATH|C:\Documents and Settings\Suzanne\

and that would cause her much grief ( and I would also suffer consequences ).

Please note that with portable CCleaner I have the ability with Notepad to stipulate cleansing in a profile to which I have no access.

Were I using the non-portable version I guess I would have to use Regedit to adjust her private registry.

I am sure I could change her password and gain access,

but that would violate her privacy, and I would not be able to put it back to conceal my violation.

An infinitely superior solution would be

Include08=PATH|%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\|*.*

With only one "IncludeNN=..." line every profile would be cleansed when active,

i.e. 1 line would purge twice as much junk whilst I have 1 daughter,

and would purge 100 times as much if my wife added another 99 children to the family ! !

Unfortunately this %APPDATA% not only fails to clean my daughter's profile

it also fails to clean my own profile.

Use of a single Include would save me a lot of typing,

and it would allow CCleaner to focus upon cleaning the active profile,

and avoid wasting time on the multiple ( 100 ? ) profiles not currently accessible.

Regards

Alan

CCleaner understands %AppData%, %ProgramFiles%, %LocalAppData% and other things like this.

There are lots of paths using %AppData% in CCleaner's Winapp.ini.

PS : Changing an user's password using the Registry is not possible.

Piriform French translator

I accept that Winapp.ini includes %AppData% etc.

But CCleaner does not seem to understand it ! ! ! !

Please explain what is wrong.

For some while I have used the Portable version v2.20.920

I have now duplicated the original folder,

and to the duplicate I have now downloaded and unzipped "embedded_INIs_v2.20.zip."

I have now used the original non-winapp variant to clean my system, and closed it down.

I then used the new winapp variant and it found absolutely nothing extra to clean,

hence CCleaner has not got any extra cleansing power, suggesting it does not understand winapp.ini.

Winsys.ini includes lines starting :-

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\...

FileKey4=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\...

Winapp.ini includes an awful lot of

RegKey1=HKCU\Software\RealNetworks\...

FileKey1=%appdata%\Apple Computer\...

I deduce that "embedded_INIs_v2.20.zip" provides additional cleansing via the registry for NON-portable CCleaner,

and that CCleaner does NOT understand %USERPROFILE% etc. that is written to the registry,

but uses the built in capability of the Operating System to expand/interpret environmental variables that are there.

Please educate me if there is a way for me to get extra cleansing by use of "embedded_INIs_v2.20.zip" with the portable variant. e.g. if I remove the original 10 byte "portable.dat" would that get the benefit of the registry, or will it merely add more registry keys in addition to all the junk that Adobe tips in there ?

My use of the registry :-

I was not thinking of the registry as a means of changing my daughter's password.

I was referring to the fact that the NON-portable version of CCleaner uses the registry instead of CCleaner.ini,

and I am not able to alter her user registry without having access to her profile,

which I consider to be a definite nono.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators
I deduce that "embedded_INIs_v2.20.zip" provides additional cleansing via the registry for NON-portable CCleaner,

and that CCleaner does NOT understand %USERPROFILE% etc. that is written to the registry,

but uses the built in capability of the Operating System to expand/interpret environmental variables that are there.

no ebedded zip just is there to show what's already writen into the system

the ini file does fine with %variables% where I see non support is in the Include/exclude section

My use of the registry :-

I was not thinking of the registry as a means of changing my daughter's password.

I was referring to the fact that the NON-portable version of CCleaner uses the registry instead of CCleaner.ini,

and I am not able to alter her user registry without having access to her profile,

which I consider to be a definite nono.

There is an option in the installed version (one which I and many other Advanced members ask users to use) which will use ini in the program's folder

so just change to use ini and place an empty text file called "ccleaner.ini" in the program folder

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

no ebedded zip just is there to show what's already writen into the system

the ini file does fine with %variables% where I see non support is in the Include/exclude section

Nergal

One of us was wrong - turns out it was me. Thank you for correcting me.

I was misled by the second post which stated

"There are lots of paths using %AppData% in CCleaner's Winapp.ini.

Winapp.ini was a red herring that threw me totally off course.

I thought this was a reference to the "User provided Extension" that I was previously aware of,

so I searched for the quoted Winapp.ini" and downloaded and saw its use of %AppData% etc.

I then fully expected that with it present in my CCleaner folder it would increase the amount deleted.

It did nothing of the sort.

I am puzzled - what is the use of Winapp.ini - CCleaner seems to work the same both with and without it

Due to your correction I did further research, and found that what IS relevant to my needs,

is not Winapp.ini, but Winapp2.ini.

Please advise me on Winapp2.ini

When it is NOT present then CCleaner appears immediately upon double clicking.

When it IS present there is a 4 second delay.

Very little in this Winapp2.ini is relevant to my system.

I think I can delete 99% of the blocks of code and expect that should retain better cleaning and restore a fast start-up.

Questions

Is that safe ?

Is there any precaution to observe ?

I created a mini Winapp2.in as below to remove items (currently 2 off) from any user profile

IS IT SAFE ?

Are there any precautions to observe ?

When finished, can I append it to my downloaded copy of Winapp2.ini,

or do I need to insert it at a particular sorted position

[*UserProfile]LangSecRef=3024DetectFile=%userprofile%Default=TrueFileKey1=%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\|*.*FileKey2=%APPDATA%\Adobe\|*.*

Alan

• Moderators

Alan, winapp2 is very safe (though you could conceivably add entries which would change that safeness),.you can add in any order (though i believe it is currently if alphabetical to make it easier to find). i usually place two * in front of my entries (to differentiate from twisted metal's)

it may take a fraction longer to load as it's looking for more programs; if you're using it on an installed copy of cleaner, as opposed to a portable, you could delete what you feel you will never have, but that seems like a lot of work for a few second faster loading :-/

i think there may be some duplication as TM hasn't edited the downloadable winapp2 in multiple versions of CCleaner.

hope that helped some, i'm following this thread so feel free to ask more questions

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thank you Nergal

I will use your hint of two ** for my creations.

On good days my attention span is better than 4 Seconds,

but if an application takes 4 seconds before I can use it I could be distracted by something bright and shiny.

For me it has been a really good day if I remember what I launched each application for ! !

I will trim out from the official Winapp2.ini everything which cleans things I do not have,

and when a new Winapp2.ini is released I will cleanse with my modified version,

and then temporarily replace with the latest to see if any of the additions are relevant to my system.

Regards and thanks

Alan