CCleaner Community Forums
Alan_B

40 MBytes junk after optimising registry

After using NTREGOPT to optimise the registry, and the system reboots, what looks like 40 MBytes of old registry backup/temp files are created in 7 different folders on Windows XP Home edition SP3

The attached file lists each redundant item.

RegOptFIX_C_TO_ZAP.TXT

The attached *.txt file can be renamed as *.BAT.

RegOptFIX.txt

When RegOptFIX.Bat is run it creates 3 LOG FILES :-

RegOptFIX_C_TO_ZAP.LOG, showing temp/backup stuff deemed worthy of zapping;

RegOptFIX_C_SUM.LOG, showing the entire contents of the 7 folders to show context and confirm later version of the "zap" stuff";

RegOptFIX_C_VALID_.LOG, the contents of the 7 folders that are considered valid, i.e. excluding the zap stuff.

After it has run and created the 3 lists, it offers the choice of whether or not to delete the junk.

After NTREGOPT reboots, the backup stuff exists and does not seem to go away until I zap them.

I leave the backup stuff for a day, and if everything is fine on the next reboot then I zapp the junk.

NB I have never had a reboot problem,

and if I did I expect to fully recover by restoring the previous ERUNT registry backup.

I am pretty sure that the registry backup stuff made by XP will be almost useless,

I am sure that there would be permisions and Access Control List aggravations to overcome before I could over-write the latest registry files with the "backups".

Regards

Alan

RegOptFIX.txt

RegOptFIX_C_TO_ZAP.TXT

I can confirm that CCleaner is unable to fully deal with ERUNT restorations, and NTREGOPT backups - even after making a winapp2.ini entry for them it still horrible misses those .bak's, etc.