cant defragment pagefile

shooter0784

hi people i figured i'd ask for help on this forum better than any but ive been using defraggler for about 2 months now and never had this happen but for some reason my pagefile.sys got fragmented a few days ago and i cant seem do defrag it inside windows

is there some sort of command prompt version of df that i could use or is it possible to just resize it and get it to readjust

i got a screenshot of what im lookin at at the moment attached

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

post-29777-1246913525_thumb.png

post-29777-1246913525_thumb.png

1) Defraggler graphic display does not seem to show directories. There may be many (fragments of) directories scattered around what looks like free space, preventing the parts being joined up. Also, you have a narrow chart. Try stretching it down the screen to increase the resolution - fewer clusters per displayed block - and some blockages may appear.

2) You don't say if you're running Vista. Defraggler cannot (usually) move the pagefile in Vista, nor can any "live" defragger. You have to use one which works on re-boot or use defraggler from a boot-CD to defrag the pagefile (and directories) in Vista.

Hope that helps.

Oh, by the way, the pagefile is usually accessed randomly in small bits, so there is no speed gain from uniting it.

hi people i figured i'd ask for help on this forum better than any but ive been using defraggler for about 2 months now and never had this happen but for some reason my pagefile.sys got fragmented a few days ago and i cant seem do defrag it inside windows

is there some sort of command prompt version of df that i could use or is it possible to just resize it and get it to readjust

i got a screenshot of what im lookin at at the moment attached

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know there is nothing of PERMANENT value in the page file. It is simply a swapping mechanism to offload RAM memory.

If I want to do a "complete" defrag, I use the Control Panel and move the page file to another partition temporarily. Then I reboot into Safe mode and defrag the original drive. Windows will rebuild the page file as it needs it. :rolleyes:

I had the same problem with pagefile on my PC. I found a link to micorosoft's website:

PageDefrag -Micorosoft Site

It basically cleaned up my pagefile which had fragmented.

I would copy and paste the instructions on this site and then download/install the program and follow instructions.

You will be prompted to reboot your PC. After reboot, you will be able to run defraggler.

P.S. I have winXP! The link does not mention Vista! You may have to search the web for something compatible to vista, to clean up your pagefile.

Regards,

mark.