CCleaner Community Forums
razz

How often would you advise scanning for rootkits

ThreatFire enables you to perform a rootkit scan. As you know, there are many other rootkit scanners on the market as well (besides the built in rootkit scan as part of many anti-virus programs).

Performing a rootkit scan once a week seems about right to me. What's your opinion?

Yeah, once a week is good. In my opinion, once a month is too long, and once a day is too frequent. So once a week is just right.

Yeah, once a week is good. In my opinion, once a month is too long, and once a day is too frequent. So once a week is just right.

Not too often, not too infrequent, just right :-)

Thanks Icedrake.

or.... once in 2 weeks

Or just use something like Avast which I believe does a quick check at ever startup. Or use AntiVir which can be configured to automatically scan for them when doing on-demand scans.

I believe SAS and MBAM will scan for them as well.

Last I heard you can't fix a rootkit problem without reformatting, and then that might not even work. Shows what I know. :blink:

Last I heard you can't fix a rootkit problem without reformatting, and then that might not even work.

Matters what the damage is and how destructive it is.

I use the freeware Sophos Anti-Rootkit alongside Avast and MBAM. Although I've never seen anything detect a rootkit on my system.

Sophos is good, but gee ya think they would ask your sexual orientation on their download query page, eh? :rolleyes: