Is it ok to uninstall Microsoft Works?

Icedrake

I've got Microsoft Works 8 installed, and I don't use it because I'm using Office. I was wondering if it was ok to uninstall Microsoft Works, and if it will affect my computer in a bad way.

Okay, I uninstalled it, and there's still a folder left in Program Files called Microsoft Works in which most of it's stuff has been deleted by the uninstaller of Works. There are only a few files left, so I tried to delete the folder, and it gives me a dialog box saying: "Moving, renaming or deleting "Microsoft Works" could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?" Should I still delete the folder? Or should I just leave it?

Refresh thing :blink: Happenend with me a couple of times.

Well, I had Microsoft Works installed with my new Laptop.

I installed Office 2010 and uninstalled Works. No problem so far :)

Simplicity is hard.

Okay, I uninstalled it, and there's still a folder left in Program Files called Microsoft Works in which most of it's stuff has been deleted by the uninstaller of Works. There are only a few files left, so I tried to delete the folder, and it gives me a dialog box saying: "Moving, renaming or deleting "Microsoft Works" could make some programs not work. Are you sure you want to do this?" Should I still delete the folder? Or should I just leave it?

Well if you Run: regedit and do a search for any file that has been left the Works folder. Or search for the actual folder Program Files\Microsoft Works or what ever its called. This will normally mean there has been a dll file left behind thats been registered. You say you don't use Works so you can deleted any reference to that folder or files in it. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Ok, thanks for all the help guys. MW is uninstalled and gone! :)

So what have you done just deleted the folder or checked in the registry? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Keith, you run Windows ME too? I have it partitioned. (Sorry this is all bold. Quoting your sig made it this way for some reason.)

You can easily edit the Bold Corona.

Yes I'm using WinME at the moment because I had problems trying the to a rebuild with Win98SE last week. It kept on stopping with SUWIN errors with setupx.dll. A web search brings up loads of these errors. I have another brand new Win98SE CD and that would install the first half then restarted and it would come up with an error unable to write to PRN device. I thought the PRN was the printer which isn't installed?

The last time I had WinME installed it was crap and it still is. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators
There are only a few files left, so I tried to delete the folder, and it gives me a dialog box saying: "Moving, renaming or deleting "Microsoft Works" could make some programs not work.

That will commonly happen with recently removed software if you haven't restarted Windows immediately after removing it. In most instances that I'm aware of restarting Windows will remove that warning, i.e.; software like Works "may or will" require a system restart to properly uninstall files in use.