Start-->Run items: How not to delete?

eliuri

Hi:

I'd like to avoid deleting Start-->Run items. Way too many to recall.

Problem:

CCleaner doesnt show those items in the expected place:

Windows Explorer (Run in Start Menu)

Question:

Where else in the CCleaner panel might these be. So I can be sure to uncheck that?

Thanks in advance:

-eliuri

===============

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3

CCleaner V2.21.940

• Moderators

Hi eliuri.

The checkbox you mention above .. CCleaner\Windows\Windows Explorer\Run (in Start Menu), is the one that will leave your "Run" dropdown menu intact if you leave it unchecked.

If you check it, the "Run" dropdown menu list is cleared on reboot.

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...-explorer-files

Hope that helps.

Hi eliuri.

The checkbox you mention above .. CCleaner\Windows\Windows Explorer\Run (in Start Menu), is the one that will leave your "Run" dropdown menu intact if you leave it unchecked.

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/ccleaner...-explorer-files

Hope that helps.

=====================================

Thanks Dennis. But apparently it's in a different location in my PC.

When I put a check in that box and Analyze via CCleaner, it reads: 0 bytes to be removed.

So I'm wondering if those Start-->Run items might be located elsewhere on my PC.

Posibly Windows XP Professional Edition is different?

If I type regedit then msconfig in the run command box, then run CCleaner with the Windows Explorer (Run in Start Menu)

box checked they are cleaned.

If I do the same with the Windows Explorer (Run in Start Menu) box cleared they are not cleaned.

I agree with DennisD. With the box cleared the items will not be cleaned and you shouldn't have any problem using the dropdown menu.

Running analyze shows 0 bytes to be removed on my PC as well. I don't think its anything to be concerned about.

• Moderators
=====================================

Thanks Dennis. But apparently it's in a different location in my PC.

When I put a check in that box and Analyze via CCleaner, it reads: 0 bytes to be removed.

So I'm wondering if those Start-->Run items might be located elsewhere on my PC.

Posibly Windows XP Professional Edition is different?

The same thing happens on my PC, XP SP3. You can even check that box and run CCleaner as many times as you like, and the Run Menu will remain intact.

This is after checking the box and running CCleaner three times with the "0 bytes" result.

5e397e307738.jpg

But, when I reboot, the list will be cleared.

If you want to retain your menu list, I'd suggest not trying it. :)

For me the Start Run option being checked has always removed the items from the registry. Which is why it always shows as 0 bytes: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU

Recently opened docs are stored as shortcuts: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\

Here is a page I found that further describes Run history not being retained: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/runmru.htm

Yes I asked about this one Dennis if you remember.

Clearing Run: files

Its funny it clears straight away with Win98SE but WinXP you have to restart. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Its funny it clears straight away with Win98SE but WinXP you have to restart. ;)

===========================

Thanks for responses.

Perhaps a better way to deal with this is to learn exactly where the file containing those Start-> Run items is located on my PC?

I'm using : Windows XP Professional Edition SP3

That way I can copy n paste them from there, if possible.

Then simply allow CCLeaner to clean everything. :)

• Moderators

I remember that thread keith, but like the others I had know idea why it works that way, and I only found out recently by doing a clean out of that list.

Perhaps a better way to deal with this is to learn exactly where the file containing those Start-> Run items is located on my PC?
As Disk4mat posted, the data is stored in the registry HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU.

Strictly speaking, you don't have to reboot Windows XP for the deletion to take effect. CCleaner clears the key immediately on disk but it appears that explorer.exe must be stopped and restarted for the new data to load into memory (similar to the procedure for clearing the Tray Notifications Cache). I have no idea why Windows 98SE was different.