Hurricane Katrina

gunner

Has nothing to do with computers, but if you are interested this one is a momma bear. I was down at the gulf near Pensacola, and the water was about 90 degrees and churning. It is due to go ashore in or about New Orleans, and there is probably no less prepared place in the USA. There are about 100,000 people that are poor or homeless with no way to leave the city. Unfortunately the city is below sea level and requires a series of dikes, floodgates and pumps to keep the sea from covering the place. The freeway at the Louisiana state line has been closed to westbound traffic to allow all the lanes to exit the place and head east. If you are so inclined, prayer is what they need at the moment.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

• Moderators

They were saying on a news channel today (don't remember which one) that if it hits New Orleans the city could be under water for six months, and that every building would have to be inspected to determine if they'd still be safe or a total loss.

Ocean weather conditions (hurricane, typhoon) and other ocean related catastrophes such as the Decemember 26, 2004 tidal wave's are a wake up call to people living around the coastline's of the world.

They now have a new theme: "It ain't easy being the big easy". This is morbid: All the graves there are above ground(crypts and vaults) and there will be a lot of ..caskets floating around.

• Moderators

I was watching the news and they showed footage of so many people whom didn't or didn't have the means to evacuate standing in line to enter the SuperDome shelter, however the good news was they reported a figure of about one million people who complied with the mandatory evacuation orders.

I witnessed a tornado a few miles away from my location on an Illinois highway some twenty-five or so years ago when I was with my grandfather however at least there's a chance to get out of their path if you see them, I couldn't image a hurricane and don't ever want to experience one.

It looks like New Orleans wasn't hit as hard as first feared but still a huge and destructive storm anyway. The news just said a sheriff in Mississippi has confirmed 50 deaths in his county alone (I didn't hear which one). I imagine we won't know all the details for days or even weeks to come.

Hope for the best...

Here is a hoot: The leader of Jefferson Parish has declared the parish a foreign country so that he can get federal aid in a more timely manner. A new olympic sport: underwater mardi gras bead and moon pie toss.