System Defragmenter won't work

Jamo

I installed and ran CCleaner. It seems to work okay but now the windows system defragments gives me a message "defragmenter failed to start." Is this a result of CCleaner and how do I get my defrag to start?

I have windows xp and I have whatever the latest version of CCleaner is. The message I get is "Disk defragmenter could not start." I don't really want to download another defragmenter. I just want to use the one from Windows. This all happened yesterday.

If I delete CCleaner, will defrag work again?

• Moderators
If I delete CCleaner, will defrag work again?

Highly unlikely because if Defrag won't work it's broken and needs re-installed.

To reinstall Defrag try this:

1. Download the freeware Dial-a-fix tool and unpack it, you can get it from:

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

2. Start Dial-a-fix, then click the tools icon (it's the hammer).

3. Look for the text: Reinstall Defrag

I believe I followed your instructions and ran the 'reinstall defrag' feature correctly. I'm not too bright with all of it. You highlight 'reinstall defrag' and click 'Go.' Then that's it. I tried restarting and not restarting. It does not bring back the defrag. I continue to get the message that defrag could not start.

Any other ideas? By the way, I believe I have Windows 7.

• Moderators

The Windows 7 mention there would have been a real help from the start, as the Defragmenter in 7 is a different animal to XP apparently.

Firstly, I believe Dial-A-Fix isn't compatible with 7, so it was important that you got your Operating System right, but no worries as long as you haven't broken anything using it.

Secondly, CCleaner only has "preliminary support" for Windows 7, so there could be some minor issues.

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/introduc...em-requirements

Have a read here, and see if it helps:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3292-...e-turn-off.html

And here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-D...on-102941.shtml

At the end of the day, you're probably best getting advice from the Windows 7 forum in the first link. There may be some 7 users here who can help, but I would try the forum to find out how to fix the Defragmenter.

I'm not sure how one knows what version of Window is installed. Mine says 'Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, version 2002, service pack 3' I don't actually see anything that says Version 7.

I'm more than a little concerned that Piriform offers a download that damages an operating system as commonplace as Windows 7, if that's what I have. There is also, as far as I can see, no way to contact the company directly for a fix. Just chatting with other users for their opinions is something, and I appreciate all your help, but at the end of the day, Piriform should have some resolution to simply re-installing what its product has removed.

I'm not sure how one knows what version of Window is installed. Mine says 'Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, version 2002, service pack 3'
You have exactly what it says. Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3.

I'm more than a little concerned that Piriform offers a download that damages an operating system as commonplace as Windows 7 ...
Windows 7 is not commercially available until October. It is currently available only as a Release Candidate, for testing by those who want to take the risk. Therefore, no software can be guaranteed compatible.

• Moderators
I'm not sure how one knows what version of Window is installed. Mine says 'Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, version 2002, service pack 3' I don't actually see anything that says Version 7.

You stated that in post number 7 above, and quite a few people are running with the beta versions.

Any other ideas? By the way, I believe I have Windows 7.

"Disk defragmenter could not start." typically means that the utility is installed but that something is preventing it from running.

Have you tried running 'chkdsk' as suggested by Andavari?

Check to see if DCOM Server Process Launcher service is running. Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Status should be 'Started; Startup Type should be 'Automatic'.

Check to see if Paging File is enabled. Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > 'Total paging file size for all drives:' should show a value such as 1024 MB. If not, click Change and, for Drive C:, select 'System managed size', click 'Set', then 'OK' on all dialogue boxes until exited.

"Disk defragmenter could not start." typically means that the utility is installed but that something is preventing it from running.

Have you tried running 'chkdsk' as suggested by Andavari?

Check to see if DCOM Server Process Launcher service is running. Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Services. Status should be 'Started; Startup Type should be 'Automatic'.

Check to see if Paging File is enabled. Right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory > 'Total paging file size for all drives:' should show a value such as 1024 MB. If not, click Change and, for Drive C:, select 'System managed size', click 'Set', then 'OK' on all dialogue boxes until exited.

Thank you all for your help. It is appreciated.

(1) I do not have "Administrative Tools' or 'Services'. At least not in the 'All Programs' section. (2) Paging file size is 1344. Is that okay?

(1) I do not have "Administrative Tools' or 'Services'. At least not in the 'All Programs' section. (2) Paging file size is 1344. Is that okay?
(1) Right-click Start menu > Properties > Start menu > Customize > Advanced > Start menu items - at the bottom of the list are the options to display System Administrative Tools

(2) Should be OK.

Thank you. How do you guys know all that stuff?

But the defrag still doesn't start.

Also, I notice that I keep getting redirected when I click on a link on Google. What's that all about?

Possible malware infection. To rule out malware follow this guide.

My computer won't let me download the malware removal software. It won't let me use the system restore either. THe whole thing is FUBAR. I don't know how much of my troubles came with this ccleaner program, but some of them did.

• Moderators

CCleaner wouldn't have given you malware it's clean software. Since you can't download the anti-malware software I'd think you have some malware on your system. I've PM'd Rorschach112 to point him to this thread, as he's the malware removal expert on the forums.