Update Automatically (Firefox style)

As it had been said in many threads : (exemples)

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...4&hl=update

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...7&hl=update

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...2&hl=update

It would be nice to have an auto updater included in all piriform products.

What do you think ?

Good thinking I was thinking of someting maybe like the apple updater where it also shows other piniform products that are not installed with a brief summery.

• 4 weeks later...
You can always download the slim version. Less than 1MB.

BTW, I had suggested this long long ago.

Nice suggestion, but seeing how small CCleaner is, is it really that much trouble to download the slim version at less than 1 mb?

Also, firefox may retain some older style features in the program file folder until you delete it & reinstall from scratch. Leave your profile folder though. I noted this from upgrading from 3 to 3.5. Sure, it updated security & a few features, but I noted that some were not there till I did the complete install, not the update.

Seeing as CCleaner is packaged as a single EXE, even if it did get updated in this way, it would have to update the entire EXE all over again. CCleaner goes through a lot of changes both cosmetically, & functionally, so it is much better that they do it just like they are doing now.

Just be sure to check back every few months or so. The latest version is really quite good. Sure, the newer versions will always get better, but you can live with the older versions if you have to on a pinch, because they are stable, fast, work great.

Just update now & then & you will be fine!

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Look Paulr, you have made your point.

Please stop posting in all the threads you can find on this subject.

The product is free.

The support is free.

The subject is not ignored.

We have to respect the fact that the developers have not as yet made an autoupdate feature available. They are aware of the suggestions that are made.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

It would be nice to have an auto updater included in all piriform products.

What do you think ?

I think extremely pointless.

Why fix what is not broken ?

I will update if the old version has a bug that might do damage.

Otherwise I will NOT update unless it gives me a benefit.

Most updates do nothing for me.

I use the portable version of CCleaner.

I will download and unzip the latest version to a "spare" folder and copy my current CCLEANER.INI across,

then I can with each in turn ANALYSE and NOT close.

Then I can toggle between windows to see if :-

1) the latest version has ANY difference in results on my system (generally not one bit different) ; and

2) Google any extra purging and decide if I agree that it is safe.

Incidentally, for those who want an installer to use the same options as before -

DON'T use the installer.

By using the portable version you can retain your existing configuration settings.

Alan

Look Paulr, you have made your point.

Please stop posting in all the threads you can find on this subject.

The product is free.

The support is free.

The subject is not ignored.

We have to respect the fact that the developers have not as yet made an autoupdate feature available. They are aware of the suggestions that are made.

well you say its not ignored but prove to me anywhere where anyone has returned a real answer to all these suggestions. i keep seeing something what you said that it hasn't been implemented yet and they are not ignoring it. well prove that it is not ignored. I really would like to see it. don't pee on me and tell me its raining. that was the reason for me to research the suggestions thread AND because the user "ident" said that this was discussed every week which i couldn't believe and have proven it wasn't. YES i understand that product is free and i understand support is free. i would like reasons for ignoring this suggestion that's all. im a concerned supporter of the software and this is my last post on this forum (be happy) so you can ban me or do what you like as i really don't care but the bottom line is the product still forces a full install when there is merely a few kb of updates each time. and someone mentioned bandwidth costs? well how about making the software hold all settings of what is cleaned in a small file which only that file needs to be updated and not the whole program and release an update 12 times per year instead of 24 times? wouldn't that lower the bandwidth costs by like 500% AND maybe eliminate the need for yahoo toolbar? i personally believe the full installs are mainly for distribution of the toolbar because distribution of it would be impossible if only the config file is updated. i didn't wanna say this again but i did. toolbar installations generate money, well money that should be used to offset the cost of developing the product and distribution. but by greatly reducing the costs of distribution wouldn't that lower the hosting costs? very few people know the truth to this and i believe it when i write it here that this is the purpose of the frequent updates the toolbar. also any technician like myself that has ever worked on computers removing spyware and viruses knows that the word toolbar is associated with spyware and bloatware which ccleaner partly removes as a lot of spyware and viruses hide in the temp folders. also a lot of spyware and viruses get installed with the many toolbars out there and im not saying yahoo is a bad one but the word toolbar is in a way associated with this kind of crap and ccleaner is crap cleaner isn't it? kinda makes your mind go in circles here LOL. so shoving a toolbar into any software especially that the toolbar has nothing to do with the main purpose of the software is kinda foolish and in my opinion makes the software look untrustworthy and cheap (yes i know its my choice to use ccleaner or not). it really would be nice for everyone here especially the developers to be honest here but we don't live in a perfect world so we will have dishonesty. honest companies last longer than the ones trying to trick you into believing something fictitious as in my opinion here. well maybe a developer can justify the reason why is yahoo toolbar included and take under consideration my suggestions how to greatly reduce the cost of development and distribution of ccleaner. i haven't really seen too many details about it. anyway thank you for a mostly great software.

Firstly have you ever tried using paragraphs when moaning about something that is given to you for free?

I said "weekly" as an exaggeration because it is asked a lot.

We have no right to demand piriform answer this, it is freeware. And you have no right to pester them for an answer like this. If you don't like the fact piriform have not yet answered then don't post here.

It's like kicking a wall moaning it hurts but continue doing it.

If you was a concerned person regarding this software you would not care how it was installed but it's functionality. The fact it takes less then 30 seconds to up date is laughable when you sit here and moan about some thing that is offered to you for free.

Has it ever registered in your pea brain that the reason they include the tool bar is not so they can differ the money back into ccleaner, but to make a living??

I have nothing else further to say on your ungrateful self, If a mod does not like what i have said i am sorry, but this is a joke

No fate but what we make

Firstly have you ever tried using paragraphs when moaning about something that is given to you for free?

I said "weekly" as an exaggeration because it is asked a lot.

We have no right to demand piriform answer this, it is freeware. And you have no right to pester them for an answer like this. If you don't like the fact piriform have not yet answered then don't post here.

It's like kicking a wall moaning it hurts but continue doing it.

If you was a concerned person regarding this software you would not care how it was installed but it's functionality. The fact it takes less then 30 seconds to up date is laughable when you sit here and moan about some thing that is offered to you for free.

Has it ever registered in your pea brain that the reason they include the tool bar is not so they can differ the money back into ccleaner, but to make a living??

I have nothing else further to say on your ungrateful self, If a mod does not like what i have said i am sorry, but this is a joke

Hear hear! How ungrateful can someone be when it's all for free anyway! I hope he gets banned as he is obviously a complete waste of space.

• Moderators

In answer to the original poster, wxwxwxfr:

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion, which as you know yourself, has been made many times before.

In answer to paulr:

The developers are well aware of the number of requests for this feature, but there's absolutely no possibility of them being in a position to offer an explanation to every posted suggestion as to why that particular suggestion hasn't yet been implemented, or even if it will be implemented.

You wouldn't usually get that level of feedback for a commercial application, let alone a free one.

As this thread has nowhere else to go, I'll close it.