Why would CCleaner slow my computer?

Sauni L

Which OS? Which version of CCleaner? What settings did you use when you cleaned?

Windows XP Home

CCleaner version v2.20.920

For the registry cleaner, I "Scanned for Issues" with everything checked and then had it fix all of the registry errors.

As far as the cleaner is concerned, I had it clean everything except the following in Windows and everything that was automatically checked on the applications tab.

IE: Autocomplete Form History

System: Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts

Advanced: Nothing was checked

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Windows XP Home

CCleaner version v2.20.920

For the registry cleaner, I "Scanned for Issues" with everything checked and then had it fix all of the registry errors.

As far as the cleaner is concerned, I had it clean everything except the following in Windows and everything that was automatically checked on the applications tab.

IE: Autocomplete Form History

System: Start Menu Shortcuts and Desktop Shortcuts

Advanced: Nothing was checked

Thanks so much for your help with this!

You should never just click fix all with out viewing the entrys. The registry contains all your os settings, also for software and hardware. You could be deleting any thing.

Always check the entrys and if you are not sure dont touch them. Can i a\lso suggest you use erunt http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ it makes a backup of the registry at start up.

No fate but what we make

What is running slow? Booting? Opening applications? Running applications? Closing applications? If so any application(s) in particular?

Did you add/remove/change any other applications around the same time?

Do you by any chance have Internet Explorer 8?

What is running slow? Booting? Opening applications? Running applications? Closing applications? If so any application(s) in particular?

Did you add/remove/change any other applications around the same time?

Do you by any chance have Internet Explorer 8?

In answer to everything, I backed up the registry before "fixing" all of the errors. I have McAfee for virus protection and Ad Aware for malware protection. Neither program has found anything.

Everything is slow now. Booting, opening, running and closing. Yes, I do have IE 8.

Try using your backup (double-click on the .REG file).

Did you install IE 8 recently ?

PS : Latest CCleaner is 2.21

I installed IE 8 after everything was already slow. I really just don't understand why CCleaner would slow my computer down. Should I remove it and see if that helps?

CCleaner doesn't do anything by just being resident on your computer.

The settings you used should have been safe but if CCleaner did any damage, removing CCleaner won't help.

I would try restoring the registry from the backup.

Although it may not be the cause of your problems, personally, I would also remove IE8. I found it to be unstable and a memory hog.

CCleaner doesn't do anything by just being resident on your computer.

The settings you used should have been safe but if CCleaner did any damage, removing CCleaner won't help.

I would try restoring the registry from the backup.

Although it may not be the cause of your problems, personally, I would also remove IE8. I found it to be unstable and a memory hog.

I've upgraded CCleaner and uninstalled IE8. How do I restore the registry?

If you made a backup, it should be in your Documents folder. Double-click on it and choose Yes when asked if you want to merge.

I did that. It won't let me do anything without having a program associated with the .REG file extension.