A litany of questions

JAGO

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1Scan saved at 6:13:38 PM, on 8/25/2005Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)Running processes:C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exeC:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXEC:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\nhksrv.exeC:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exeC:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXEC:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exeC:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exeC:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exeC:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exeC:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exeC:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXEC:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exeC:\Program Files\NETGEAR\MA111v2 USB Adapter\MA111v2.exeC:\Program Files\Netropa\Onscreen Display\OSD.exeC:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasDtServ.exeC:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exeC:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exeC:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exeC:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exeC:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Programs\HijackThis.exeO2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dllO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [soundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXEO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CaAvTray] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVTray.exe"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAVRID] "C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\CAVRID.exe"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [gcasServ] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware\gcasServ.exe"O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD] C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exeO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartupO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installO4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInitO4 - HKCU\..\Run: [googletalk] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe" /autostartO4 - Global Startup: MA111 Configuration Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\MA111v2 USB Adapter\MA111v2.exeO9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dllO9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dllO16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cabO16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204O23 - Service: CAISafe - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\ISafe.exeO23 - Service: Netropa NHK Server (nhksrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Netropa\Multimedia Keyboard\nhksrv.exeO23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exeO23 - Service: VET Message Service (VETMSGNT) - Computer Associates International, Inc. - C:\Program Files\CA\eTrust EZ Armor\eTrust EZ Antivirus\VetMsg.exe

That's my HJT log - it should be clean but you can never be so sure.

Question two: How can I check for drivers for my Geforce FX 5200? It seems like nothing changes when I update. I play Guild Wars (Prae Ttor [DsR]), and recently it's a bit choppy.

Question three: Is there an application that will show me where my disk space usage is going to? Seems like I don't know where 15Gb of space has gone to.

Question four: Can Media Player 10 play streaming music? (Shoutcast input too, would be nice).

Thanks.

PS: If you feel this post was in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

IPB Image

• Moderators
Question two: How can I check for drivers for my Geforce FX 5200?  It seems like nothing changes when I update.  I play Guild Wars (Prae Ttor [DsR]), and recently it's a bit choppy.

Get the drivers from the graphics card manufacturer website for the newest driver version. Drivers listed on your PC manufacturer website, Microsoft Update/Windows Update will most likely be late to have the newest version. One important thing though is save an old stable version setup file that way if a particular new version is giving you problems you can always go back.

I don't know what the install recommendations are for your display drivers, however with ATI it has always been to uninstall a previous version followed by a reboot before installing a new version.

Question three: Is there an application that will show me where my disk space usage is going to?  Seems like I don't know where 15Gb of space has gone to.

EasyCleaner has a built in space usage tool. It has a pie chart in the middle, and the directory/folder size listed on the right.

Question four: Can Media Player 10 play streaming music?  (Shoutcast input too, would be nice).

Like any modern media player yes, it'll stream formats it supports such as mp3, wma, etc. The Shoutcast bit I don't know about.

i have the geforce fx 5200. the newest drivers are these

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.77.html

with these i assume that either u have win xp or 2000. also make sure that if u want to install these u should uninstall the old ones first.

if u want something that can listen to shoutcast u should try winamp

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

I have a GeForce 5200 FX. I'm using Omega drivers. they seem to do a better job.

http://omegadrivers.net/

NVidia uses the same driver for most there graphics cards for a given OS. Because of this, a driver may have been updated to include a newer card, such as the 6800 Ultra, and has no effect on how your card runs.

If your game is getting choppy, you can try turning down the hardware acceleration in DirectX and in "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panel. The acceleration in DirectX will stay where you put it but the one in S&A Devices will reset every time you reboot. Doing this can make a big difference if you are running audio off the motherboard chipset.

Well, the thing is, it doesn't seem to get choppy until I've been playing for an hour or so. I'm wondering if I lack enough memory?

I tried the Omega Drivers - they disabled several nVidia features and gave me a lower framerate =/

IPB Image

Well, the thing is, it doesn't seem to get choppy until I've been playing for an hour or so.  I'm wondering if I lack enough memory? 

I tried the Omega Drivers - they disabled several nVidia features and gave me a lower framerate =/

Omega trouble may be a compatibility problem with the game. It helped me playing Far Cry but wouldn't work at all with Halo 2. You might try NVidia's Forceware drivers. I would think a lack of memory would cause problems form the first. You might check your virtual memory, it may need increasing.

My audio is Realtek AC 97. If I forget to lower the hardware acceleration, the game gets choppy when there is a lot of noise, explosions, gunfire, loud machinery, etc. It really eats up resources.

Realtek AC 97 - the two black and silver speakers, made by Logitech? Has a subwoofer?

I own those too - great speakers for their price.

Anyhow, I ran Trend Micro's Housecall, and found a little piece of spyware that I had not detected otherwise. Upon removal, everything became much smoother. When I was infected, the paging light, the red one, was always on, or look like a strobe light. Now it's back to normal =D

IPB Image

Realtek AC 97 - the two black and silver speakers, made by Logitech?  Has a subwoofer? 

I own those too - great speakers for their price. 

Anyhow, I ran Trend Micro's Housecall, and found a little piece of spyware that I had not detected otherwise.  Upon removal, everything became much smoother.  When I was infected, the paging light, the red one, was always on, or look like a strobe light.  Now it's back to normal =D

Andavari was right, the Realtek AC 97 I was talking about is the audio chip on the motherboard. If you're showing Realtek AC 97 as your default audio, you should try reducing the acceleration. You'll be suprised at the difference it will make.

Glad you got found that bug and got your game straight.

Question three: Is there an application that will show me where my disk space usage is going to?  Seems like I don't know where 15Gb of space has gone to.

Thanks.

I have another solution for question three, you can use HDCleaner which will give you a tree view of all folders on your computer and will tell you how much each of them take up in space!

I hope this helped

Thanks.

I have another solution for question three, you can use HDCleaner which will give you a tree view of all folders on your computer and will tell you how much each of them takes up in space!

I hope this helped