Computer keeps freezing...

Stocker360

Four days ago my computer started acting weird, it freezes every 10-15 minutes and then it will always turn back to normal 10 more minutes later. At first i thought it might be software issues but later i reformatted my hard drives and the problem was still there. I'm trying find out the source of the problem but have had no luck. Perhaps you guys can help me? :lol:

• Moderators
Hello every one,

Three above things are one of my thought is the problems. the first appears in my mind is probably your sticks is not good

leekate019 I have removed the link that was partially hidden in your post in an attempt to get users directed to a certain site.

Attempts of this nature to re-direct users in such an underhand way will not be tolerated.

You are banned.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Your installed RAM is what comes to my mind instantly, however a dying hard disk can easily cause severe issues too such as file corruption. I'd highly recommend you backup all important files such as My Documents and your web browser bookmarks, etc., to reliable media such as CD-R's or DVD's as soon as possible.

You can test your system RAM with MemTest86+ which is free. If you have more than one "stick" of RAM installed in your system you need to take out the extras and only test one at a time to see which one "may" be faulty.

Of course the issue may not be memory related, and could be a host of other things from overheating, to other dying components. It wouldn't hurt to download and install HDTune free version to see what it says about the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard disk.

• Moderators
Strangely it may seems but this morning when i checked my computer i found the issue has been gone and it has been working normal so far. :blink:

Possible overheating issue, or some Windows glitch, it could be anything really and even a hardware glitch or some early sign of something about to fail. Or your computer could've just had some weird very random glitch when you started it which I've had before myself when programs don't want to run correct, when that ever so rarely happens I just shutdown and wait anywhere from 30-60 seconds then start the system again.

I think you should still check your RAM for errors. it may seek okay now, but if your RAM is damaged the problem can come back. I think you should download an image of ubuntu (ubuntu.com), burn it to cd and then boot it. In the bootd screen there will be an optio labelled "Check RAM" (or somehing similar). That option will check your RAM for errors, and if your RAM i really damaged, you can simply buy a RAM stick and replace the current one you have with it and the problem will be gone forever. The reason you should use an ubuntu CD for checking is that when Windows is running, the RAM it uses cannot be tested as it is write-protected.

PC Specs: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (2x 3GHz), 1GB RAM, 500GB internal HDD & 500 GB external HDD (both kinda full)

Laptop Specs: eeePC 1000HE, Ubuntu 9.4 (OS), Intel Atom 1.66 GHz (2x 1.66GHz), 1GB RAM, 160GB Interal HDD

What I support: GNU, Free Software Foundation, Ubuntu (Linux-based free Operating system)