HELP! How do I Delete History in IE8 Address Bar?

Carbera

Does anyone have any idea how to delete the History in the address bar for IE8 in Windows XP? I have tried all the recommendations I have found on the web such as REGEDIT: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs There are no other URLs listed to delete. I have tried Tools, Internet Options, Delete, checked all categories except the Preserve category and clicked delete but nothing clears the address bar. I have clicked the drop down menu and clicked the X's after each address in the History list - and the X's in the Favorites list. What happens here is the Favorites asks me if I'm sure I want to delete - but it only allows one address at a time and then the History list reappears even though I supposedly had deleted each one prior to the individual addresses in the Favorites list. I have also run Registry cleanup in CCleaner - but still no results. I am not a tech saavy person and this issue is wasting hours of my time. Can someone please help? It seems that many people are having the same problem but I've yet to locate a solution. Should I remove IE8 and return to IE7 until MS creates an updated version of IE8 or maybe releases an IE9 with full delete capabilites for lay persons to use?

If you mean the AutoComplete dropdown list that appears in the address bar:

Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete Settings > Delete AutoComplete history > [select items to delete] > Delete

You can set "Use AutoComplete for" to not record these entries in the first place.

• 1 month later...
If you mean the AutoComplete dropdown list that appears in the address bar:

Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete Settings > Delete AutoComplete history > [select items to delete] > Delete

You can set "Use AutoComplete for" to not record these entries in the first place.

This solves the problem I was having with MSN and HP websites appearing in the address bar dropdown (history) menu under favorites. Amazing how simple the solution! IE8 personalization is not intuitive. Many users are frustrated and waste alot of time on things that should be self-explanatory (like changing the color of IE8 menu bars, which I beleive can't be done). Your post has been a great help.

Thank You,

joelsword

• 5 months later...

To erase history from the drop down menu in IE8 is easy.

At the bottom of the list in blue is "Clear History" ----Click on it.

If you have to scroll down to the bottom and can't see it, it is under the task bar. Move the task bar to one side (see help) to reveal, then Clear History

• 11 months later...