Deleting corrupted files

Colbey

I have ran several mechanic tools.

I ran System mechanic,Advanced System optimizer and CCleaner.

I have tried to fix issues on my machine that are slowing it down and causing a very lenthy logon time.

My machine was slow and i assumed because i just collected too much junk. 1 day i turn my machine on and the system says Windows needs to check the consistancy of one or more of your drives, i use 2k pro.

It proceeds to find a gajillion orphaned files and starts....replacing them in a folder. 5 minutes into it it will say CHeck disc has ran into an unknown error and my machine goes ahead and continues on to my desktop.

This happened everytime so i started DLIng system aide products.

System mechanic found 449 errors and deleted them but did not give me an option to delete a specific file, but it did show me the file was corrupt.

ASO found another 298 files and deleted them but did not pause and spam me with errors at the corrupted file.

CCleaner showed me 300 megs of issues and deleted them and then at the bottom of my tool bar on the right it gave me the option to add folders which i added the corrput folders and couldnt figure out what to do next.

Now i still have the same check disc issue when i boot up and evidently between 3 programs i had some 1000+ bad files,etc that it took 3 to find since they all found differant ones :)

HOW do i delete this corrupted file ?

And if that still doesnt fix my issue when i turn my machine on, HOW do i find what the $130 file is and how do i delete these orphaned files that check disc keeps shutting down while trying to move/recover ?

• Moderators

I'm unsure if ChkDsk works the same on Win2000 as it does on WinXP, however you could try these parameters:

1. Open a command prompt, or from start->run and type in: chkdsk /v c:

Note: Do this for each hard disk and partition you have.

The /v option removes unused indexes, and from what I know "may also remove some errors."

2. Run a standard chkdsk with the fix option: chkdsk /f c:

3. Reboot.

If the error presists you should probably have chkdsk do a full scan that also scans the disk surface, however only do this when you know you won't be using your system for at least 2 to 4 hours. To have chkdsk do a full scan use: chkdsk /r c:

Corrupt files can also be the result of faulty memory, therefore you may want to use Memtest86 to scan for memory errors, Memtest86 is freeware. Allow Memtest86 to complete at least one pass.

It started,said no F parameter set, Read-only mode.

STarts spinning starts saying Something about unreadable segments,then parameter ($130,160) then spins a bit and closed. then i reran and it didnt do it no more. it started counting off what it was checking and closed automaticly

Ok i have found the corrupt folder. I have deleted everything within it. I try to delete the folder and it says the folder is not empty,unable to delete. I Ran a program called incinerator, i dragged the folder to it AND it was in the incinerator AND on my desktop. I repeated this serveral times. It still had the same result. The folder on my desktop and multiple copies in the incinerator ( a trash bin that supposedly exceed govenrment required data destruction/removal requirments for thier machins *cough *im so sure *)

SO how do i get rid of this replicating beast ?

the easiest way to remove a corrupted file is to click on the file and press control-delete. this will remove it completely. it may not work on linux and other un-common and free systems!

hope you get it working!

Didn't do a thing. Tried it on another file and nothing.

I was not aware windows 2k was an uncommon system :)

Any other ideas on how to delete this beast anyone ?

• Moderators
It started,said no F parameter set, Read-only mode.

Yep, the /v option is only used to clean/remove unused indexes on an NTFS disk it doesn't correct any file errors. Errors can exist within indexes hence the reason to periodically clean them using the /v option.

• 5 months later...

Backup all your music, pictures, texts that are important to you. Write down your display, audio,

lan, modem, & usb drivers since these are usually the ones that windows has the most trouble

installing.

Format & reinstall w2k. If install completes, it may be possible that your harddisk is not corrupted

or almost dead.

Reinstall all your programs & restore your backed up files. Live in happiness & bliss (hopefully).

Note: Running scandisk or defrag on a drive that you know has no errors, can actually cause

"errors" to come up. It is, after all, a process that is imperfect, & usually long. It can also

cause premature failure of the harddisk if ran excessively. Thanks & good luck.