Is the "right click freeze issue" fixed in Avira?

Icedrake

I'm going to switch to AntiVir, but I was wondering if the right-click freeze issue has been fixed yet, because I don't want that on my PC.

I've never had this problem ! ( I have SP3 XP Pro & AVIRA v.9 )

This problem has been fixed, check this AV9 shell ext hangs - fix

if not worked, have a look this Right Click is slow or weird

hope this helps ;)

Neither do i have ever came across this problem. By the way, i've recently switched to Avira from Avast! and so far i can say that i'm satisfy with the change. For example, Avira's system scan are faster and it's AntiVir Guard uses less resource. However, the Splash Screen at Startup and the Popup Ad annoys most user.

Neither do i have ever came across this problem. By the way, i've recently switched to Avira from Avast! and so far i can say that i'm satisfy with the change. For example, Avira's system scan are faster and it's AntiVir Guard uses less resource. However, the Splash Screen at Startup and the Popup Ad annoys most user.

If you use free version, that's an agreement and notifier (popup Ad) runs once a day on updating. ;)

To turn off Splash Screen, go to this Knowledge Base

With the link to the fix you gave Abu, you have to uninstall the Shell extension. Anyway, I installed Avira yesterday, and so far, it's working perfectly. Right after I fixed the little popup ad issue, everything was working like a dream. Avira also uses less resources than NOD32. So far I'm liking Avira better, since everything in it is better than NOD32.

Well I have only had it happen once recently and that could have been coincidence. Certainly won't stop me using it (unless it suddenly gets worse of course)

To turn off Splash Screen, go to this Knowledge Base

Nice one, wasn't aware you could kill the startup splash screen

The couple of times I tried this, I had constant database update problems. In fact it would go days with update errors.

Anyone finding this happen?

Nope, had no update issues at all since I started using it a coupe of months back.

• Moderators
The couple of times I tried this, I had constant database update problems. In fact it would go days with update errors.

I've always had issues with that on a varying degree, it's always been slow on my system to just find the update let alone attempting to download it. The newest release in my opinion needs some bug fixing such as the systray icon not loading on startup, and the guard sometimes not loading on startup which I'm sure will get someone infected with no resident protection running. That's why I use Avast, no issues!

It seems to be me that's having all the problems with Avira!

On my Vista laptop - like JDPower, happened only the once, several weeks ago and have had no problems since. I think it's fair to say that it isn't an issue on my laptop

On my XP PC - a different story. This is the computer where I've had problems since day one with this problem of "right click freeze". My solution was to disable the shell extension for Avira (using ShellExView) and then to just re-enable it when I need to use it, which isn't very often. Once or twice after re-enabling, right clicking on a file has caused freezing again. Again this is a random freeze, no pattern to when it will happen. After I've checked what I need to check (hopefully without any freezing!) I then disable the shell extension once again. With the shell extension disabled I have no problems at all.

For me, I check so few files using the shell extension (a small amount each month) that disabling the shell extension is convenient for me. If I had to rely on using the shell extension on a regular basis I would have removed Avira from my PC a long time ago. But as I said, on my laptop I have the shell extension enabled and apart from that one time I have had no problems whatsoever.

I haven't tried that fix in abu aufa's post, I'll look into that one.