lastest version doesnt delete browser history in internet explorer 8

exterra

Hi exterra, and welcome to the forum.

When you type a URL in the address bar, I think your seeing your history plus recently typed URLs since you last ran CCleaner and your Favorites.

Verify you have the History and Recently Typed URLs boxes checked in CCleaner.

In IE8 look at : Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete (Click Settings)

Under Address bar clear the check boxes you don't want to AutoComplete. (Click OK, OK.)

I personally like my favs to AutoComplete.

I hope this helps.

I have IE8 on Vista and XP, and can't replicate what you're describing.

After running CCleaner, open IE8 and look at your history.

Favorites > History > Today. The only item listed is my home page.

If you're history looks the same as mine, then CCleaner is cleaning your history and recently typed URLs.

And your very welcome.

There's a tick box option in CCleaner under Cleaner -> Windows -> Internet Explorer to wipe Autocomplete Form History. From memory I think this option is set as unticked by default. Ticking this box should solve the problem.

EDIT: Just checked. The option I described in CCleaner appears to be for deleting passwords and so is probably not relevant to the OP's query.

According to the docs, the option Autocomplete Form History is for text box on a form.

I have that box checked in CCleaner and don't lose passwords as stated in the warning.

In order for the forms Autocomplete function to work in IE, forms needs to be checked in IE Tools > Internet Options > Content > AutoComplete.

• 11 months later...

I have IE8 on Vista and XP, and can't replicate what you're describing.

After running CCleaner, open IE8 and look at your history.

Favorites > History > Today. The only item listed is my home page.

If you're history looks the same as mine, then CCleaner is cleaning your history and recently typed URLs.

And your very welcome.

CCleaner appears to delete the history, but on my machine, even with ALL Internet Explorer options selected, & with IE closed totally, & after a reboot after cleaning, yet, I was still able to pull up the history as though CCleaner never touched it!

At first glance, it appeared that CCleaner totally removed it all! Then I go to the favorites/history/search.

As soon as I search for a website, ALL the history magically re-appears where I can click anything I used days ago or weeks ago or months ago!

What gives? How can we fix this bug?

• Moderators

CCleaner appears to delete the history, but on my machine, even with ALL Internet Explorer options selected, & with IE closed totally, & after a reboot after cleaning, yet, I was still able to pull up the history as though CCleaner never touched it!

At first glance, it appeared that CCleaner totally removed it all! Then I go to the favorites/history/search.

As soon as I search for a website, ALL the history magically re-appears where I can click anything I used days ago or weeks ago or months ago!

What gives? How can we fix this bug?

Please start a new thread this is an old thread. . . also ccleaner cleans my ie fine when I tell it to

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com