ThreatFire

abu aufa

Its a HIPS like program used for real-time protection. Supposed to be good, but HIPS tend to be too complicated for the average user.

Have heard of it causing conflicts with other AVs

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

Actually, I've been using it for several months -- no problems whatsoever. It's an incredibly simple program to use -- nothing to fiddle with. Simply download it and install it -- that's it. And, it runs concurrently with my AV (Antivir Premium) and doesn't conflict with it at all.

I agree with Tom AZ. I have also been using it for some time now with no problems at all. It updates itself, and so far there have been no conflicts with my other AV programs.

I might just mention that until about a month or two ago, they used to include standard virus definition updates. That's been done away with. There are still updates, but just for anti-rootkit definitions. So, if you decide to scan your system, you're just scanning for anti-rootkits -- nothing else.

Actually, I've been using it for several months -- no problems whatsoever. It's an incredibly simple program to use -- nothing to fiddle with. Simply download it and install it -- that's it. And, it runs concurrently with my AV (Antivir Premium) and doesn't conflict with it at all.

I agree totally. I have used it for many months now and very happy with it. I use avast! as well as Zone Alarm and there have been no conflicts at all with ThreatFire.

One thing: It can be kind of RAM hungry

Like most resident apps, that's sometimes true -- but not all the time. IMO, it seems like very moderate consumption most of the time.

The last time I tried it the uninstaller didn't uninstall anything whatsoever. Good thing I track everything with Total Uninstall.

The only thing it didn't do when i re-installed was remove the service. Odd

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on my ThreatFire experience . . .

For several months I've been using Threatfire 4.1 with absolutely no problems or conflicts whatsoever. However, just yesterday, I realized there was a newer version (4.5), so I decided to upgrade. Nothing else on my system had changed, but it immediately started flagging all sorts of things (false positives) that the earlier version hadn't. The bottom line is that it quickly became a real pain in the neck and I ended up uninstalling it and re-installing 4.1.

Of course, all of this could be totally unique to my computer, but in that I just recently posted some positive comments about this app, I thought I should share these latest developments.

I used it for a long time with NOD32 on the desktop and Avira Free on the laptop and Comodo Firewall (only, no Defense+) on both. A couple of weeks ago GAOTD was giving away Online Armor so I uninstalled it since OA has HIPS also. The combos were always very light and never had an issue. I'd also used OA Free and PCTools firewalls with it with no issues. Andavari, on a side note, I have an Uninstall ThreatFire app that I must have gotten from PCTools one time that did indeed get 99 and9/10% of it!

• 3 weeks later...
A little update on my ThreatFire experience . . .

For several months I've been using Threatfire 4.1 with absolutely no problems or conflicts whatsoever. However, just yesterday, I realized there was a newer version (4.5), so I decided to upgrade. Nothing else on my system had changed, but it immediately started flagging all sorts of things (false positives) that the earlier version hadn't. The bottom line is that it quickly became a real pain in the neck and I ended up uninstalling it and re-installing 4.1.

Of course, all of this could be totally unique to my computer, but in that I just recently posted some positive comments about this app, I thought I should share these latest developments.

Tom I have been using version 4.5.0.24 since it was released and have not experienced what you did - i.e. nothing new was flagged.