Install new versions of CCleaner

I have V.11.636 of CCleaner installed on my computer. However, when I try to install an update, it won't install. Any suggestions, please?

I placed this on an older post, but since this is a new post, and I'm afraid I won't get any response on the older one, I'm making a plea for help here. I'm having the same installation problem. Please someone help, or at least confirm that I'm not crazy. :blink:

I have CCleaner version 2.0.7.575. I'm running Windows XP SP2. IE 7. I am the sole user of this PC and it's set at Owner-User Administrator.

I checked the FAQ for the installation error that I'm receiving and it does not have a fix, since I am the only owner and administrator of my PC, none of the files have blocked access. I have been downloading info to the Windows temp files all day prior to updating CCleaner. I installed my Windows XP and MS Office immediate action security updates today so maybe that's part of the problem. I initially got a VDD error (s32evnt1.dll) after I rebooted for the Windows Security Updates , but went to the Windows help site and followed the steps to take care of it. I've rebooted and it's working fine now.

This is the exact problem that I'm having as copied from the CCleaner FAQ Installation problem found at: Troubleshooting - Installation problems webpage

The installer displays an 'error opening file for writing' error.

CCleanerinstallerror.png

You will see this error message if you are trying to install CCleaner without being logged in as an administrator: Issue here is that I am the administrator of my PC

Installation - Error opening file for writing dialog box. Solution: Log in as an administrator and then run the installation program, or contact your system administrator for assistance. Can't log in as Administrator as I am a single user and am logged in as User Administrator by default.

Alternative solution: Use CCleaner Portable which you have installed on a USB drive using another computer. It may have limited functionality if you are not using an administrator account. Do not have the ability to do this and previous versions have installed with no problems.

Note: Once CCleaner has been installed, you can run it without being logged in as an administrator, but it may not be able to clean certain files and folders. As I indicated v2.0.7.575 is fully functional and I have not had any limitations with the functions/options.

Note I downloaded the original file from FileHippo and then another from http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

If anyone can assist me with this, I would be very grateful. :D

Thanks.

Welcome to Piriform justaperson.

I have V.11.636 of CCleaner installed on my computer. However, when I try to install an update, it won't install. Any suggestions, please?

Where have you been for 6 months? If you're using v2.11.636 then you are 13 versions behind as of today.

As tbme as pointed out you need admin rights to install CC. Also if you clicked on the Check for updates... link in CC and you still have CC open you can't install the newer version because the one one is in use. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform justaperson.

Where have you been for 6 months? If you're using v2.11.636 then you are 13 versions behind as of today.

As tbme as pointed out you need admin rights to install CC. Also if you clicked on the Check for updates... link in CC and you still have CC open you can't install the newer version because the one one is in use. ;)

I have the same problem. I'm the admin and I get the same exact error message. Whenever I try to uninstall my old/current version to try to install the newer version, I get another error message saying the installer won't open. I don't have cc open when this happens either. Help please?

• Moderators

You don't need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. Just double click the new installer and it will install over the top of your old build.

When you do download the new version it is best to choose 'save' as opposed to selecting 'run' from the download box in your browser. Choose save to desktop, or your downloads folder, and then run the installer.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You don't need to uninstall the old version before installing the new one. Just double click the new installer and it will install over the top of your old build.

When you do download the new version it is best to choose 'save' as opposed to selecting 'run' from the download box in your browser. Choose save to desktop, or your downloads folder, and then run the installer.

Yeah. I know that. But the program was malfunctioning so I tried something else besides letting the new installer do the uninstalling in hopes that would solve the problem. But no matter, I restarted my machine and it installed no problem.

• 1 year later...

It is now Apr. 2011 and I am having a problem installing updates. On one computer I have not been able to install updates after v3.02.1343. It starts to update and stops after 1-2 seconds. I have tried everything suggested to no avail. I can successfully reinstall v3.02.1343. I have a second computer that gave me no problems until the latest update V3.05.1409. Now, the same thing occurs with this computer. I get no error messages. I have downloaded the update from CNet and filehippo. I have temporarily disabled my firewall and antivirus when downloading. Both computers are running XP with sp3. I may be forced to find an alternative utility if this problem can't be corrected.

• Moderators

Try downloading using a different browser and don't use a download manager. Empty your browser cache, if there are some remnants of a corrupted download in the cache it may cause problems.

There is no problem for most people so it may be something you have installed that is causing the issue.

Do you actually manage to actually get the new installer on your desktop?

What security software do you have running in realtime and are all your av/malware scans coming up clean

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

As well as what Hazelnut has asked

try and download from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the help. I normally use Firefox 4. I went to IE, did not use DAP, and it installed. The other computer will take more time. It's the one with an older version of Ccleaner. Yes, the downloads did show on my computer. When I clicked on them, I went through several screens successfully. The actual installation would freeze after 4 bars showed. To shut it down I had to use Task Manager. I run Avast! free and ZoneAlarm free. Periodically I will run SpyBots Search & Destroy, Ad-aware with "live" off, Malwarebytes Anti=malware (installed each time I use it), and SUPER Antispyware (also installed each time).