Should I defrag my pagefile?

Icedrake

I'm using Defraggler and I was wondering if I should defrag the file pagefile.sys. It's causing 11% fragmentation on my system, so I want to defrag it but I'm not sure if I should in case if I did it might cause problems in my system. What do you guys think? Should I defrag the page file? Is is safe?

I'm using Defraggler and I was wondering if I should defrag the file pagefile.sys. It's causing 11% fragmentation on my system, so I want to defrag it but I'm not sure if I should in case if I did it might cause problems in my system. What do you guys think? Should I defrag the page file? Is is safe?

Hi, Icedrake :D

To my personal experience, the simpliest (and the safer) is :

1- Displace your page file to an other logical disk (from C to D, for instance),

2- Deep defrag C,

3- Move your pagefile back.

That's all! B)

• Moderators

You could try to have the pagefile deleted on shutdown or restart both xp-AntiSpy (freeware) and Winsecret 2009 (freeware) can to that to see if doing so removes the fragmentation.

Also there's Microsoft Windows Sysinternals PageDefrag (freeware) to take care of it and other system files during startup and you'll never have to worry about a fragmented pagefile again if you set it to always run at boot.

I don't know.

Maybe this isn't the right place to post this and i could be simply ignorant to how things work, but i alway thought that if you set the pagefile to a constant size- by way of right clicking the computer icon- That it was no longer necessary to defrag it, as it will stay constant. Am i wrong in thinking this?

• Moderators
i alway thought that if you set the pagefile to a constant size- by way of right clicking the computer icon- That it was no longer necessary to defrag it, as it will stay constant.

That's also what I've always heard from tweaking sites and such, and I used to implement that myself back during the Win98 days, however the issues it caused me back then were memory related. Hence the reason I've never bothered with that tweak in WinXP, and just let Windows manage it by itself. Funny thing is my pagefile has never needed to be defragged in the six years I've been using the same machine with WinXP.

I use the page defrag from SYS internals and have never had a problem.It runs on start up and takes 2 seconds,most of the time I think it does nothing,UNLESS I abort the defrag on boot for like 3 weaks then I can see it does do something,especially when I Hibernate,or never re boot during that period,or use stand by,since I am on a laptop.Don't know if that helps,but that's what I do