My computer is making weird noises?

Majestyc

My computer recently started making weird sounds. When I turn it on, it makes those noises for about 5 minutes and then stops. Sometimes it continues making these sounds after a few hours of leaving the computer on.

I believe my computer started making these noises after I defragged the hard drive using the program Defraggler.

• Moderators
It doesn't sound like any of those sounds.

What does it sound like then? Is it a sqeak, a rattle, scratchy, try and give us a clue.

Is it a Desktop PC or a Laptop? If it's a Desktop, have you had the casing open to check out the possibility of something simply vibrating?

I have bits of folded cardboard wedged beneath and to the side of my Hard Drive to hold it tight otherwise the metal casing sometimes rattles or vibrates. The fact that it seemed to happen after using Defraggler could also just be coincidence.

"It makes a noise" doesn't tell us anything at all I'm afraid.

• Moderators

Definitely worth having a look inside the casing.

Simply take the side off, boot your PC, and try pinpointing where the noise is coming from. You need to eliminate mechanical vibration before you start delving into faulty drives etc.

I'm stating the obvious here, but KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT WHILE YOU DO THIS.

After switching off at the mains, you could carefully check to see if anything is slightly loose in it's housing, such as the Hard Drive itself and any ROM drives you may have, or maybe a case fan bogged down with dust and needs a clean.

As mentioned above, I started getting an intermittent vibration which was fixed with a couple of pieces of cardboard. I also have lumps of Blu-Tack under the casing feet. Anything to stop the inevitable vibrations which come from having a metal casing.

Could be all sorts of things causing it. If it's hard drive related and sounds like these, it could be a defective hard drive.

Out of curiousity, I clicked on the above web link. That website contained another link titled something like click to hear defective drive sound. Moments after I clicked on that, my antivirus (Nod32) lit up and quarantined two instances of what it defined as a variant of a Win32/Nuwar worm. I was sandboxed at the time...which shut down around the same time as the quarantined messages (perhaps because Nod32 closed IE?).

I'm no malware expert. I did a secure delete of the sandbox's contents (although my guess is that Nod32 removed the malware from there during the quarantine process). I removed/deleted the quarantined files. And I ran two full scans with SuperAntiSpyware and Nod32...everything came up clean.

I hope nothing is lurking undetected on my system. I definitely got more than I bargained for.

also if you have 2 drives like cd/dvd turn off pc,remove then careully...and you'll may found dust too.

if so you may need a air canned bottle.

-also remove memory ram and then reinstalled.

also turn off pc,unplug power supply cord for 30 minutes.then plug back again.

• Moderators

I have a graphics card that buzzes, It's the fan on it that does it, causes a vibration whch I can confirm by gently holding in the middle of the fan. Of course I am not suggesting you test it like this, just telling you how I tested it. :)

My last card (nvidia) also did the same. When it got unbearable, I replaced it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Out of curiousity, I clicked on the above web link.

The .zip file is clean so I don't know what the hell happened to you, it just contains MP3's and an .m3u playlist with defective hard disk sounds. I don't spread malware! If you clicked text advertisement "the scan with www.liutilities.com" who knows what you could've gotten.

This is the Virus Total scan results if you don't believe me:

https://www.virustotal.com/analisis/51f249d...4fd8-1243332175

• Moderators

Fans and chassis noise are common. My Dell desktop has these stupid rounded areas near the two DVDRW drives that used to rattle like crazy, however just using some paper in between them fills the gap making them fit snug together and completely removes the noise.

The .zip file is clean so I don't know what the hell happened to you, it just contains MP3's and an .m3u playlist with defective hard disk sounds. I don't spread malware! If you clicked text advertisement "the scan with www.liutilities.com" who knows what you could've gotten.

This is the Virus Total scan results if you don't believe me:

https://www.virustotal.com/analisis/51f249d...4fd8-1243332175

No accusation was intended. Your reputation is well-respected and regarded and I've learned important information from your many posts here. I'm only factually reporting what happened. Perhaps a false positive...although if so, it will be the first one I have had with Nod32.