Lockup in Vista - Trying to Determine Cause

AKAJohnDoe

I have been experiencing an intermittant lockup for several months now. I am running Vista/SP1. At first I thought it was Firefox, as it appeared to begin around the time 3.0.7 came out; however, that was also the timeframe when ZoneAlarm was updated for the conflicker virus, CCleaner was updated as well, and IE8 went GA. So you can understand my predicament.

Everytime it happens I get the spinning orb, none of those not responding messages, no response from any mouse clicks or keyboard input. The only recourse is a hard power off. When it restarts, Firefox has lost all it's customizations. Although the add-ons are still installed, they have no settings.

I thought I had it narrowed down to somehow being related to clearing private data in Firefox using the Firefox facilities, but then it happend (once) without Firefox running. Then I updated to the beta of Firefox (3.5b4). Happened once again. Still, I feel it may be in that area somehow, So, to that end, I have disabled clearing of Firefox in CCleaner. I am exploring a hypothesis that there is a conflict between the way Firefox clears private data and the way CCleaner clear Firefox private data.

So, a round-about way of getting to the question: Is anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Thanks for your help. If it was a simple lockup I might be more suspicous of a driver issue. And there is nothing in the event logs. Also, the only application that seems to be affected is Firefox. And it has been affected even when it was not running at the time. If it were not an intermittant problem it would also be easier to resolve.

I have set all updates (Windows, ZoneAlarm, Firefox, CCleaner, ...) to either not update or to only notify me when updates are available so that I can make the choices as to which and when.

The lockup is like a disabled spin loop.

Right now I have the clearing of Firefox turned off in CCleaner, but on in Firefox (although not automatic; I have to manually initiate it). If the problem persists it pretty much eliminates CCleaner, but not Firefox nor ZoneAlarm nor Vista itself.

I take it that this is the first you have heard of this?

• Moderators

The vista freezing and firefox/ccleaner combination is one i don't recall being posted before. Although there have been posts about firefox and where the cookies are kept as regards cleaning with ccleaner.

It'll be interesting to see what if any results you come up with during your investigations.

Keep us posted please :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi everyone,

I have just returned from a weeks holiday and am also experiencing a similar problem. Everything was working correctly before I went away but it is jammimg at 36% just after it finishes deleting browser history panel that comes up ( somthing I hadnt noticed before I went away) the c cleaner has jammed showing c:\windows\MEMORY.DMP with the spinning orb. I am too running Vista SP1 and use IE 8 as default browser. I have auto updates for and for CCleaner and think were some updates to both before i left. Any advice to solve this would be helpful.

Since making two changes, this has not recurred on my machine. The two changes were:

1. Unchecked the box in Firefox to automatically clear Firefox Private Data when Firefox closes, although I left all the boxes for types of private data checked.
  2. Unchecked all the boxes relating to Firefox in CCleaner

I am still manually clearing all Firefox private data within Firefox via shift+ctrl+delete regularly.

I am going to run this way for several more days to see if the problem happens again (or not). If it does not, the next step would seem to be to re-check the box within Firefox to clear Firefox Private Data when Firefox closes and see what happens ...

Already ran chkdsk (and scandsk, too). No difference. But a good suggestion.

From my experience, this has all the markings of two or more products being involved in some particular sequence or timing. There would have been more reports of this than the handful I have found if it were simple, right? I'm hoping I have the configuration at this time that is a "known good" so that it can be used as the control group set. If I can stumble upon a "known bad" configuration in addition, figuring out the trigger(s) will be a snap.

When I installed IE8 on Vista SP1 I discovered that my Internet options had been changed; particularly worrying were changes in Security tab. If not already done you might like to run inetcpl.cpl to check all settings. I assume you have already run CCleaner Registry Scan.

Well, I stand corrected. It just happened again on a manual clearing of Firefox within Firefox, although upon restart I did not loose all my settings.

So, CCleaner is almost certainly not directly involved.

My current (and one of my last) theories is that ZoneAlarm is involved. This is actually a pretty good theory as:

1. It has happened without Firefox running
  2. The entire PC is locked up, not just one application
  3. It began around the time that ZoneAlarm updated for the conflicker virus
  4. I have begun noticing some dmp files for VSMON now and again

Thanks everyone for your help, assistance, and patience. This thread may be closed.