Hello, I'm new here...

BMathis

Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for the last day, and getting some great answers to my noob questions. I recently did a PC restore, and really wondered if it is necessary to install SP1-SP3?

Also, I've installed Avast! anti-virus, as most here said they like that one best. When I googled it, I noticed there were multiple sites with the similar names and products... I wonder if I downloaded the right one?

Anyway Thanks in advance, and hope to learn more from the members here. :)

Thank you very much for the response...

EDIT: Wow What a freeking hassle this is... I use Mozilla, but I have to use Explorer to get the update, and throws me through hoops to get SP3. It wants me to install like 3 updates on the update site - should I? :angry:

I went to the Microsoft download center on Mozilla and searched "SP3 download", and it only comes up with this - "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resu...p;stype=s_basic I'm just using one computer, but don't see a SP3 there for just me... lol

I'll just wait to download 'til I hear what y'all think...

Thanks!

Here's the Avast SS - This doesn't seem to be the same one.

post-28809-1242887759_thumb.jpg

post-28809-1242887759_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forusms BMathis! :)

About your SP3 download question: I'm not sure if you should install that version of SP3 since it's probably for IT Professionals and Developers.

I think you should download SP3 from it's website in Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...p3/default.mspx

I will today, thanks Icedrake...

Anyone seen that Avast! av software before? (Picture in previous post)?

• Moderators

Thats the right avast.

Yes install all the updates that microsoft wants you too. As long as your copy of windows is legit you shouldn't have any problems. XP to XP SP3 is a huge update in so many ways. (security, performance, ect).

If your on broadband then just go to windows update and let it do its thing.

Yea leave the drivers alone lol, i found that out the hard way with one pc.

I updated the network adapter, ...no more internet.

Experienced the same with my soundcard. Updated it via Windows Update... no more sound!

Had to roll back to the previous version :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
I've installed Avast! anti-virus, as most here said they like that one best. When I googled it, I noticed there were multiple sites with the similar names and products... I wonder if I downloaded the right one?

Hi BMathis, welcome to the forum. Best on the net! Did you get acquainted with avast ok? By the way, good choice - avast is a great anti-virus program.

Hi BMathis. Welcome. :D

May I suggest that when you have time, you download the service packs which you need and put them onto a cd or dvd. That way, if you have to do a reinstall, you can get everything up to sp3 finished without having to hook up to the net. Might do the same for your preferred firewall and antivirus. Learned that the hard way, had to reinstall, its much quicker if the big files are saved on cd.

The sp3 version I used on a non-networked computer is:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

even tho it says its for pros and developers, which I certainly am not.

Also, I have never installed IE8, nor the latest .net framework. Don't seem to need them, and IE8 seems to create problems.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.