Chromium - Better Than Google Chrome

Icedrake

Chromium is the open source project behind Google Chrome, and it has it's own browser that is exactly like Chrome, but better. I don't think it installs any of Google's crap stuff like it's silent updater when you install Chromium (because you have to update Chromium manually, or you can use the little tool I listed below). Chromium is also always ahead of Chrome with releases (bug fixes, new features etc. etc.), because Chromium usually gets updated every few hours, while Chrome gets updated every few weeks. So, to sum it all up: Chromium is better than Chrome in every way.

I'm also a very happy user of Chromium. It's fast, stable, and with the Ad-Sweep userscript from www.adsweep.org, I can also block ads.

So... If you want to give Chromium a try, download the latest version from this link: http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapsho...rel-xp/?C=M;O=D There are different builds of it like a zip version etc. If you want to install it, download the file that's called "mini_installer.exe".

If you want to keep Chromium updated download this little (and great) utility from this website: http://dirhael.dcmembers.com/cnu/ It's a zip file so no installation needed. Checked it at VirusTotal so no problems!

Well, this has been a lot of typing, but hope you found this useful. I'm a permanent user of Chromium! :)

Looks pretty cool. Too bad it only works on XP/Vista. I tried it on my XP machine and really like it, so I'd like to load it on my 2000 machine. No luck.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Try these instructions quoted from this website. I don't know if they work or not but this is probably your best bet.

Yes, I have finally managed to decode the japanese language finally. And not only managed to decode it, but I will provide you with an easier way and less files to work with. And will also tell you on how to sort a common error with that type of Installation on Windows 2000.

For those who are wondering, where this japanese language concept came in here’s the link. Actually Google Chrome was made only for Windows XP and Vista. Installer won’t even run on Windows 2000. But a japanese guy founded a method to make it work on Windows 2000 too. But since the page was in japanese and even google translator provided not much help, not much people could make it work on Windows 2000. I tried not only learning his method but also came up with a simpler method too.

So here is my method to make Chrome work on Windows 2000.

1. Download Chrome Offline Installer directly from here. (No more user string changes or use of registry hack to make IE in 2000 work as IEXP.exe)

2. Make sure you have the following patch in 2000 Installed: Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 (KB891861) If not download and install now because if you don’t have this patch you will see the following error: the procedure entry point heapsetinformation could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll

3. Download the chrome2k.zip file from here. I changed the chrome2k.zip file since I don’t need to use bat file and removed entry of IEXP.exe from reg file too.

4. Run the chrome2k.reg file and accept the changes in registry. Run the installer now.

5. And voila, Chrome now runs in Windows 2000. (If it does not, read at the end of post for possible fix.)

6. To uninstall Chrome run the offical uninstaller from Add Remove Programs and then run unchrome.reg file.

Please report if the above method does not work. Or a fix still needed for above method. Hope my method works for everybody.

Update to the method: As reported in comments, people were facing problems. I have updated the zip file 2 days back. Pls redownload and then run.

Also some have reported that even with updated reg file, it didn’t work. So try this. After running chrome2k.reg, run the installer and then run unchrome.reg file and now run Chrome Browser. It is working even though it shows some silly warnings. But it runs this way.

The part with the download the offline chrome installer, I think it might work with Chromium installed. If not, then I really don't know what to do to help you get Chromium working with Windows 2k. Good luck! ;) These instructions are only if you are installing Chromium.

Personally, I think if installing Chromium doesn't work, use Chromium portable from this link: XXXXXXXXXX Once you are on the site, search for Chromium. I use it and it works perfectly, even comes with an updater for Chromium you can use to update!

Thanks! I tried that and got Chrome working great on my Win2k system. Unfortunately, it wasn't near as fast as I was hoping. Opera is much faster loading pages on this older system, so I'll be sticking with that. It was fun getting around the dumb requirement of XP+ though (when obviously it runs just fine on 2000). B)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

They are both great browsers, both get 100/100 on the Acid3 tests. I used to use Opera 10 Alpha but I switched to Chromium when it was the faster browser on my system. No computer is the same! :) Still even if it isn't as fast for you, Chromium is still the best alternative to Google Chrome.

Personally, I think if installing Chromium doesn't work, use Chromium portable from this link: XXXXXXXXXXXX I use it and it works perfectly, even comes with an updater for Chromium you can use to update!

Thanks for posting that.The site has some very interesting portable apps on it besides the portable Chrome. Ashampoo Burning studio, Spybot Search and Destroy and several others I have not seen in portable format before. I have never heard of the site though until now so I'm a little nervous about using the apps. Have you used the site often or is it new to you as well?

Nope use it quite often for GIMP Portable, FF Portable, Opera Portable, and some others. Everything I've downloaded so far is clean. The author of the site says he checks everything with KAV. I check everything I download with NOD32 (friend bought me new license).

Nope use it quite often for GIMP Portable, FF Portable, Opera Portable, and some others. Everything I've downloaded so far is clean. The author of the site says he checks everything with KAV. I check everything I download with NOD32 (friend bought me new license).

So what is the deal with this site? He links to Portable apps.com which I use many apps from. Is he affiliated with them or just make other apps in PAF to go with the apps on Portable apps.com?

There is a portable Safari, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, Ashampoo Burning Studio, Ad- Aware and some others I have not seen in Portable versions before.

• Moderators

I've removed the links in this thread to the site for portable apps, as it's a site providing a lot of portable "cracked" software. Commercial versions.

With there also being freeware programs on that site, I'll assume this was a genuine error, but please be careful what you link to. There are a lot of non freeware "doctored" apps on that site, which we all know is strictly against forum policy.

For that reason, I'll close this thread.