Avoid this software

Andavari

• Moderators

Thanks to Hazelnut for cluing me into RelevantKnowledge not to long ago as that bit of info was just useful, and here's why:

I was looking for a replacement to FormatFactory since it now shows ad's in the program and happened upon a GPL licensed program called xFast Video Convert v1.2.0 which everywhere claimed to be "100% clean" including Softpedia.com. Well they are all dead wrong!

The software contains a particular pain in the backside for most end-users to remove called RelevantKnowledge (Google search link that leads to sites showing removal instructions). Neither Avast Antivirus nor Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware detected anything wrong with the setup file. I DECLINED during the installation and wouldn't you know it two processes of rkverify.exe were running in the background so I end tasked the badware. If you run across this bit of badware you'll know it immediately when your system starts acting instantly sluggish.

Nothing is more worse than when an app publisher states on their website that their software doesn't contain any third-party program, and then during installation you see otherwise, and I find it rather disgusting for an application licensed under GPL. We can't even trust Open Source or Free software anymore!

Luckily I had zero difficultly in removing it because I tracked the installation with Total Uninstall and used an ERUNT backup to restore the registry.

• Moderators

Now that I've unpacked the setup.exe file Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does find the nasty, which makes me wonder why it doesn't scan inside of such files. :huh: I may have to reevaluate my usage of it.

Andavari,

Try uploading the setup executable to Jotti to see if it finds anything...

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

• Moderators

I'm probably as surprised as you that you got something like that via Open Source, and with Softpedias "clean" stamp on it.

I haven't actually reinstalled Format Factory since restoring an Image recently, and that's a shame with that program, as it's a real "Jack Of All Trades" with converting.

So I'm looking for a replacement now. There's always Super and Mediacoder, but there's a couple of issues I have with both those apps, so I'll keep them as a last resort.

• Moderators
As far as Open Source...the name alone implies mistrust.

Open Source does NOT imply mistrust it's the developers packing in the third-party badware that are to blame because they don't have to go that route, therefore we'll have to disagree on that.

Try uploading the setup executable to Jotti to see if it finds anything...

Did that a long time ago, I uploaded it to Jotti, virScan.org, and Virus-Total all found the malware however many anti-malware scanners miss it including Avast.

I haven't actually reinstalled Format Factory since restoring an Image recently, and that's a shame with that program, as it's a real "Jack Of All Trades" with converting.

Note that currently Format Factory would be considered non-intrusive adware meaning it won't mess your system up or slow it down, and won't be detected by most anti-malware programs for that very reason. Even some Microsoft software is considered non-intrusive adware, yet tons of people use it. The ad's it shows are like what Foxit Reader did, they're just images that can be clicked to generate revenue to help pay for development. Still though I don't like the ideal of seeing them and wish they'd release a pro version minus the ad's for a remedial price because it would be worth it.

Edit: Found out that Format Factory has internal ad links to the xFAST website, so be careful if using it as following those links to downloads is a sure fire way of getting infected.

Edited by Andavari

I was looking for a replacement to FormatFactory since it now shows ad's in the program and happened upon a GPL licensed program called xFast Video Convert v1.2.0 which everywhere claimed to be "100% clean" including Softpedia.com. Well they are all dead wrong!

We're very sorry about that. You should have reported it...

The program does include Adware, therefore we've changed the license (the award is gone of course).

• Moderators
The version we're listing does not contain RK B)

Glad to hear it. I take it you must be hosting the lite version then?

http://kcsoftwares.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=244

By the way welcome to the forum :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
There's always Super and Mediacoder

Mediacoder also has RelevantKnowledge spyware so you don't want it either! Rather surprising for something hosted by SourceForge.net. I found out by unpacking the setup file with 7-Zip, scanned with MBAM and bam there it was.

Version that has it:

MediaCoder Full Edition v0.7.0.4399 (32-bit Edition, Released May 16, 2009)

Proof:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36Database version: 2168Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 305/23/2009 3:37:40 AMmbam-log-2009-05-23 (03-37-40).txtScan type: Quick ScanObjects scanned: 282Time elapsed: 7 second(s)Memory Processes Infected: 0Memory Modules Infected: 0Registry Keys Infected: 0Registry Values Infected: 0Registry Data Items Infected: 0Folders Infected: 0Files Infected: 2Memory Processes Infected:(No malicious items detected)Memory Modules Infected:(No malicious items detected)Registry Keys Infected:(No malicious items detected)Registry Values Infected:(No malicious items detected)Registry Data Items Infected:(No malicious items detected)Folders Infected:(No malicious items detected)Files Infected:d:\my download files\Software\mediacoder full edition v0.7.0.4399 (winxp)\temp\$COMMONFILES\MediaCoder\$TEMP\rkverify.exe (Adware.RelevantKnowledge) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.d:\my download files\Software\mediacoder full edition v0.7.0.4399 (winxp)\temp\$TEMP\$TEMP\rkinstall.exe (Adware.RelevantKnowledge) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I wonder if running any setup files than can't be unpacked by say 7-Zip in a Sandbox would allow for such infections to disappear once the Sandbox is deleted?

Glad to hear it. I take it you must be hosting the lite version then?

http://kcsoftwares.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=244

By the way welcome to the forum :)

Of course.

Thank you

Mediacoder also has RelevantKnowledge spyware so you don't want it either!

True, MC includes adware components, but during the installation it does not make any attempts to install them. You can click your way through the installer without ending up with unwanted software on your computer. This type of behavior is not that criticized.

• Moderators

That's a nice spot Andavari.

This really makes me wonder about Mediacoders insistence on phoning home just about every time you opened it to check for updates.

I always found that a huge pain in the a**e, and now I'm wondering even more about that particular facet of it's behaviour.

And how many other seemingly reliable and steadfast programs are gonna have to be taken apart before installing them? ;)

The term "don't believe everything you read" springs to mind here.

• Moderators

It really is quite a problem now about things phoning home. We all deal with it in different ways. Some folks don't know or care.

I tend to look at all the settings on install and see if there is a 'check for updates' tickbox anywhere (which I quickly untick)

Also I have my Online Armor firewall set to ask me when a program wants to access the internet. If I don't consider that it should, I block it so it cannot ever do it without my say so.

We rely on info from others, such as this thread is giving, to keep us up to date with what is trying to, or is being installed inside our software downloads.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
We're very sorry about that. You should have reported it...

The program does include Adware, therefore we've changed the license (the award is gone of course).

It's not really Softpedia.com's fault so you have nothing to really apologize about. I found the program, and as always I check out what Softpedia.com has to say about the program such as if it's adware, clean, screenshots, or any reviews you kind folk provide.

True, MC includes adware components, but during the installation it does not make any attempts to install them. You can click your way through the installer without ending up with unwanted software on your computer. This type of behavior is not that criticized.

O'RLY ?

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/dlfull.htm

Last Updated: May. 16, 2009

When started instaler, Avira alerted about %Temp%\rkv.dat

Then about %Temp%\rkverify.exe

Only then installer appeared on screen and in its wizard once i was able to either accept rkv. However, would i deny it, MC just would not install.Either both installed, or both rejected. However at the time of this choice, rkverify.exe was already dropped and lanuched.

• Moderators
However at the time of this choice, rkverify.exe was already dropped and lanuched.

Exactly, it's forced upon you even if you choose to not install it. I personally see MediaCoder Full as malware now.

I used to use Format Factory all the time, it was a great piece of software.

Today I went to download the most recent version 1.9 and when I tried to install it, it tells me that it is now bundled with a piece of software that will monitor and report my interenet usage. When I decline the install at that point, McAfee comes alive with blocking RKVERIFY.EXE. It is a shame even when you DECLINE an install, the program will already have launched this piece of software.

I will not be recommending or using this software again.

• Moderators
I will not be recommending or using this software again.

I think the only way around all the former clean software now turning blatant adware is to use older versions and disable the update notifications, or buy clean commercial applications that have absolutely no business including malware.

I realize all those developers would like some compensation since they have to eat an pay bills just like everyone else, but really I think they'd be better off to just turn their programs into commercial apps that must be bought, and possibly offer a features restricted free and clean version without all the bells and whistles.

At least there's this website I've linked to on here before that converts stuff online without installing anything:

http://media-convert.com/

• 4 weeks later...