Can you Recover By Specific File Types?

RayNY2E

I Reformatted My Hard Drive and re-installed windows XP. Can i Use RECUVA to search for Jpg,Jpeg,Bmp files only? If Not,can this be incorporated into the next version? I Really don't want to recover the other 100,000 files on the previous installation. Thanks in Advance for any help.

• Moderators

Just use the search box in the upper right. Type *.jpg and you'll only see jpg

you can also (under options view by thumbnail, and you be able to see if it is retrievable. hint if you can setup a second drive to recover to otherwise you stand less of a chance to retrieve after every file you get back

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Just use the search box in the upper right. Type *.jpg and you'll only see jpg

you can also (under options view by thumbnail, and you be able to see if it is retrievable. hint if you can setup a second drive to recover to otherwise you stand less of a chance to retrieve after every file you get back

Thanks for your Reply Nergal. I am using this program for the first time today and it was my understanding that if I Wanted to recover anything from a re-formatted drive,I Should Start in Advanced Mode and scan for non-deleted files. Can you please tell me where I Would select or enter my file type for this situation or If i missed some steps what would be the proper procedure to do what I'm trying to do? I Made a folder on my Hard dive to save the recovered file to, Is this not ok? I Also tested it out on my camera disc and there were some files recovered but 84 files ignored?? I Checked off ALL 5 boxes before doing the camera chip? Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh...Any idea on how long it would take (approximately) to run a recovery scan on a 160 GB Drive. I Have a Duo Core 2 Processor with 4 GB Ram and 16 meg buffer hard drive @7200 Rpm.

You may want to look at this before you begin:

http://docs.piriform.com/recuva/using-recuva

Thank you Very Much for your Reply Captain. I Believe this is the Procedure I Followed on Sunday. The computer took 4 hours to scan and it found over 200,000 files. I was hoping to limit the search on the Re-formatted drive to Jpeg,Jpg etc. Only. I was left with a task of going through 200,000 files to try to find my pictures,soo i just closed out the Program as it was Clear that either I Had done something wrong, Or I'd be there for a few years Looking through all of those files. Maybe I Can give it a Try again another Day when I Have 8 hours to spend learning how to Properly use the Program. As always,Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

It's really not that difficult. After running the scan (if you are in list view) you can sort the results by Filename, Path, Last Modified, Size, etc by clicking on the column headers - usual Windows stuff. Also in the Filename or Path box you can select an option from the drop-down box - including Pictures - or type in whatever substring you want to filter the results, which can then be sorted as before.

I have found that it doesn't matter what is typed in the Filename or Path box as recuva will do the full scan anyway and then disply what has been chosen, so you can change the filter criteria without doing another scan.

You can change the view to Thumbnails by right clicking somewhere in the display window and selecting the relevant View Mode. There may be a risk in this that your pc might not be able to support the resouces needed to display a huge amount of thumbnails, so use with care.