Cannot install ccleaner v2.19

Boris Cabbage

Hi

I am having no joy installing v2.19 . I get the opening screen where you decide whether you want the shortcuts and the Yahoo toolbar etc but when I continue I get a message saying cannot open file. I am already running the previous version. I am using Windows Vista Home premium. I saw a similar problem from 2006 where it was going on about Microsofr VB but did not know if ythat was still relevant with Vista or not.

Welcome to Piriform Boris.

I am having no joy installing v2.19 . I get the opening screen where you decide whether you want the shortcuts and the Yahoo toolbar etc but when I continue I get a message saying cannot open file. I am already running the previous version. I am using Windows Vista Home premium. I saw a similar problem from 2006 where it was going on about Microsofr VB but did not know if ythat was still relevant with Vista or not.

First of all where did you download CC from?

Secondly I'm assuming you have admin rights on the computer you are trying to install it on?

When you install I think it extracts all files into the User Temp folder before installation. This question was asked the other day by a Vista user because the user didn't have admin rights for that folder.

No CC hasn't used Microsoft VB since version 1.xx.xxx ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Hi Keith

I dowloaded it from filehippo and a couple of other locations as well just in case. I am sure I have admin rights as have had no bother updating anything else.

Secondly I'm assuming you have admin rights on the computer you are trying to install it on?

When you install I think it extracts all files into the User Temp folder before installation. This question was asked the other day by a Vista user because the user didn't have admin rights for that folder.

Keith

I have just tried it again and it installed sweet as a nut. Many thanks though for your help.

Keith

I have just tried it again and it installed sweet as a nut. Many thanks though for your help.

Thats ok Boris you can have a bad download occationally but I've never had a bad one for CC of FileHippo only Nero of there. I fact all Nero's of there.

I'm glad you got it sorted. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• 3 weeks later...
Thats ok Boris you can have a bad download occasionally but I've never had a bad one for CC of FileHippo only Nero of there. I fact all Nero's of there.

I'm glad you got it sorted. ;)

I can't find another thread with this problem, so I hope this one is still being monitored. I have version 2.0.7.575. I'm running Windows XP SP2. IE 7. I am the sole user of this PC and it's set at Owner-User Administrator.

I checked the FAQ for the installation error that I'm receiving and it does not have a fix, since I am the only owner and administrator of my PC, none of the files have blocked access. I have been downloading info to the Windows temp files all day prior to updating CCleaner. I installed my Windows XP and MS Office immediate action security updates today so maybe that's part of the problem. I initially got a VDD error (s32evnt1.dll) after I rebooted for the Windows Security Updates , but went to the Windows help site and followed the steps to take care of it. I've rebooted and it's working fine now.

This is the exact problem that I'm having as copied from the CCleaner FAQ Installation problem found at: Troubleshooting - Installation problems webpage

The installer displays an 'error opening file for writing' error.

CCleanerinstallerror.png

You will see this error message if you are trying to install CCleaner without being logged in as an administrator: Issue here is that I am the administrator of my PC

Installation - Error opening file for writing dialog box. Solution: Log in as an administrator and then run the installation program, or contact your system administrator for assistance. Can't log in as Administrator as I am a single user and am logged in as User Administrator by default.

Alternative solution: Use CCleaner Portable which you have installed on a USB drive using another computer. It may have limited functionality if you are not using an administrator account. Do not have the ability to do this and previous versions have installed with no problems.

Note: Once CCleaner has been installed, you can run it without being logged in as an administrator, but it may not be able to clean certain files and folders. As I indicated v2.0.7.575 is fully functional and I have not had any limitations with the functions/options.

Note I downloaded the original file from FileHippo and then another from http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading

If anyone can assist me with this, I would be very grateful. :D

Thanks.