Disable all button, in Startup tool.

Hi all...

I was just dealing with my startup items

and I noticed that there is no "Disable all" button in the Startup tool.

I don't like to disable them all one by one,

specially when the computer has a lot of startup items.

I think that it's better to disable them all at once and then

enable them one by one to give the system the best performance.

It would be a really nice feature. :)

• Moderators

There would be a flood of 'My pc doesn't work any more' posts here. It's not something you would use every day, just once in the life of your pc.

There would be a flood of 'My pc doesn't work any more' posts here. It's not something you would use every day, just once in the life of your pc.

What's with the negativity?

There's always a flood of people over here claiming that CCleaner has all the fault in the world.

And yes, it's something that I use every day as I work as a computer technician and there's always a flood of people saying "My computer doesn't work" or "My computer is really slow" or etc. and they always have a LOT of startup items.

If you have installed windows you would probably know that windows comes without startup items and that disabling them all won't cause any pc problems, instead it would give the user a much better experience, and if some one has problems with them it is as easy as enable them all again, and I will volunteer to help them with their problems.

It seems like you have only ran CCleaner in the pc you own. -_-

I tend to agree with augeas here.

Take people with wireless for example. Not every one is computer smart. It was only a few weeks ago i was asked to repair a laptop, the women was in a panic and all it was she had disabled the wireles on startup.

No fate but what we make

There was nothing negative about his post, it was actually a pretty spot on answer

Too many potential problems with this idea in my opinion. Saying that you will help anybody with these problems is not a real solution to this major con either.

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.

~Scratch~

I tend to agree with augeas here.

Take people with wireless for example. Not every one is computer smart. It was only a few weeks ago i was asked to repair a laptop, the women was in a panic and all it was she had disabled the wireles on startup.

Would also disable any antivirus/antimalware/firewall, definitely not a good thing.

• Moderators

Well, I am sometimes noted for my melancholic disposition.

Yep, I've installed Windows many times, and I know Windows doesn't have any startup items by default (except Ctfmon, if you don't untick Text Services during the install), but I've yet to see any pc without any, and many inexperienced users (there are millions out there) would see their pc behaving differently if startup items were removed, and panic.

Whilst it may be just what Metalj wants as a commercial user I would say that the overwhelming majority of CC users are private individuals with one or two pcs, and CC has to be suitable for a wide user base.

Well, thanks all for the great support :P:lol:

There is a disable button already and I haven't seen anyone with planet-size problems.

I don't see why adding a "Disable all" and a "Enable all" buttons would be that much trouble.

For me the real novices are the ones who still don't have CCleaner. :P

I just don't like to pop-up msconfig because of the restart thing.

I still think that this buttons are a "must-have". :)

-----

Edit: And what about the delete button?

Isn't it worst than my suggestion? Come on. <_<

I just don't like to pop-up msconfig because of the restart thing.

Ah yes one of the most annoying features of msconfig. makes me scream sometimes adding itself to startup.

No fate but what we make

• 10 months later...
Hi all...

It would be a really nice feature.

Hi

I am also a techi and majority of times its stop half the services (non microsoft) and 80% of startup items - maleware remove - done

PC works like new.

But there is the risk of disiabling something that the User does use! For eg A picture viewing client, banking software, driver related 3rd party.

So a good technician would actually take the time to individually clean and optimize a computer per customer. As it is a - Personal Computer.

All I wanted to say is.... wait for it.... AWESOME Software!!!

Thanks Piriform :rolleyes:

Theoretically it appears utterly stupid to do a disable all.

If you succeeded, would there be any functional controls with which to re-enable anything ! ! !

In practice it could be very dangerous.

The GUI of my Comodo A.V. is one of the start-up items that I really do not want to have disabled.

Without the GUI there will probably be no warning that a virus has been detected,

and no opportunity to choose how it should be dealt with (ignore threat / quarantine / kill / etc.)

I am confident I would still be protected to a degree,

but perhaps the A.V. database will never update if the GUI is turned off.

If a computer technician was hired to improve my computer and he saves a few minutes by "Disable All",

he had better re-enable everything that I may possibly need.

If at the end of the day he is at the other end of the motor-way when I cannot access my time-sheet or financial records,

he will suffer repercussions ! !

Alan

Hi all...

It would be a really nice feature. :)

I do agree with you there.

CCleaner version 2.08 USED to have a feature to checkmark or uncheck startup items you want to disable. Very, very nice!

Not anymore though!

It would be very nice to be able to disable all startup items at once, then reenable the once you need, as the current way seems too slow when dealing with today's mega truckloads of startup items.

In my opinion, it would solve a great many more problems than it caused. Including the option to disable all startup items is NOT like deleting them, since they can be re-enabled, after all & since windows does start by default with a blank slate, I see no harm that simply disabling these would cause.

Very good idea, mate!

• 4 months later...

Theoretically it appears utterly stupid to do a disable all.

If you succeeded, would there be any functional controls with which to re-enable anything ! ! !

In practice it could be very dangerous.

The GUI of my Comodo A.V. is one of the start-up items that I really do not want to have disabled.

Without the GUI there will probably be no warning that a virus has been detected,

and no opportunity to choose how it should be dealt with (ignore threat / quarantine / kill / etc.)

I am confident I would still be protected to a degree,

but perhaps the A.V. database will never update if the GUI is turned off.

If a computer technician was hired to improve my computer and he saves a few minutes by "Disable All",

he had better re-enable everything that I may possibly need.

If at the end of the day he is at the other end of the motor-way when I cannot access my time-sheet or financial records,

he will suffer repercussions ! !

Alan

* Please note the parameters suggested before making a reply. User suggested Disable All, NOT Delete all.

Disable always leaves entries so they can be re-enabled. Delete permanently gets rid of them.

Since default Windows installs always start blank anyway, there is NOTHING that can go wrong with all entries Disabled. Some computers wind up with 100's of startup items, which kill your fingers to individually deselect. Having the capability to disable them all, then scroll through & re-enable Antivirus or other startup items would be wonderful!

I can understand your anger/sentiment/position, but it seems that you have mistaken Disable All for Delete All.

---> Theoretically it appears utterly stupid to do a disable all. (Why? Disable never deletes anything!)

---> If you succeeded, would there be any functional controls with which to re-enable anything ! ! ! (This is Delete, not Disable! Disable leaves a way to re-enable)

Thank you!

mr don, you made your point once, any particular reason for adding it again four months later?

---> Theoretically it appears utterly stupid to do a disable all. (Why? Disable never deletes anything!)

Picture the scenario:

Inexperienced user sees "Disable all", assumes this must be a good thing or why else would it be there (and don't say they wouldn't, even with warnings, how many posts are there from users who tick everything in the advanced section regardless of warnings and then come here complaining).

They restart their computer, stuff isn't working, what do they do? Either panic and/or come on here complaining CCleaner screwed up they're computer. And what will the easiest suggested solution be? Re-enable everything, which will even re-enable stuff that was disabled BEFORE they clicked "Disable all". So they will end up, not only back at square one, but with MORE running at startup than they had in the first place. Or we will have to spend an unnecessary amount of time guiding them, step by step, through each individual thing that needs re-enabling - in your words potentially 100's.

This will never be added and rightly so.

• Moderators

Picture the scenario:

Inexperienced user sees "Disable all", assumes this must be a good thing or why else would it be there (and don't say they wouldn't, even with warnings, how many posts are there from users who tick everything in the advanced section regardless of warnings and then come here complaining)

Spot on JD. You only have to look at the number of posts from users running "Wipe Free Space" without knowing what it actually does and why.

And that isn't a reflection on the users who do this, more a reflection on human nature.

Inexperienced user sees "Disable all",

regardless of that mate, would any experienced user just disable all?

No

No fate but what we make

Hey guys. When version 2.21 was released it introduced "multiple item selection on Start up tool",

which was all I really wanted. (just click an empty space and drag it)

Since then, everything has been working great for me, and I think that what I suggested back then,

when I made this topic, is not really needed anymore.

This topic is like really old and I no longer want this feature.

I also don't like this topic being bumped.

So, can any of the mods lock it?

If anybody else wants this feature, just make a new topic.