Deleting CCleaner log files?

ManicMalkavian

So my dad is being sued by his ex-fiance, and her lawyers are trying to say that he was using internet dating sites to find and date other women while she was living with him, and he was forced to hand over his harddrive to their computer "expert". This "expert" said that since he used CCleaner and Ad-Aware, they couldn't find anything and so he had clearly been using it to cover his tracks and so everything she's said must be true. I personally installed both programs several years ago while visiting on vacation because he was getting way too much adware/spyware/etc. and have at least run both programs (on default settings) each time I've visited since. However, the "expert" says that it has only been run once, in January 2009.

So, my question is, does CCleaner delete any log files each time it runs which would make it *look* like it had only been run the last time before it's run again? Or perhaps would it appear that way simply each time the program is updated?

They're really grasping at straws at this point, but now they think they've got him on a technicality. "Innocent until proven guilty" indeed...

• Moderators

I think you've told us a bit too much! ;)

Anyways, CCleaner doesn't create any logs.

Depending upon which version of CCleaner his system has installed, you can grab the Change Logs off FileHippo.com which archives them all to see the actual release date and to help clear up the "last usage date."

Just visit the FileHippo.com main CCleaner page, then for any version you had installed click that link on the right, when the page opens for that version click the Technical tab which shows the actual release date. Print the page and you've got proof.

• Moderators
Thanks, but that would only show the date of his latest update, right? Not when it was originally installed on his computer?

True it would only show when his version of released, however it at least gives you something although small to work with.

I have no more suggestions for this, so good luck.

Thanks, but that would only show the date of his latest update, right? Not when it was originally installed on his computer?

You could check the "Created" date for the C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder and the CCleaner shortcut in the Start Menu and/or Desktop.

Unless you deleted these manually when you did the updates, they would not be replaced and should reflect the original creation dates. I just checked mine ... updated last night but showing matching "Created" date from original installation.

Doesn't prove you used it but helps support your story if the installation date is several years ago.