CCleaner Shutdown Not Working

llamar

Hello, all. I really hope somebody can help me with this one.

I use the command line trick ("C:\Program files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO /SHUTDOWN) to run CCleaner and then automatically shut down. So I just click the icon and close my laptop and go to sleep, letting it do its business and shut itself down.

The problem is, I never got it to work properly in the first place. Some error pops up for a quarter of a second (I can't even read it), and the system doesn't shut down. CCleaner runs fine, though.

I understand this might have something to the with the way my system is set, I dunno. I just hope somebody here can give me suggestions on how to work this around. Is there another way to run CCleaner and then shutdown? Maybe a third party program, who knows? I can't even read that error message.

Best regards.

• Moderators

Perhaps you have some security software installed that won't allow for the shutdown, or something else, that's just my guess without really knowing for sure.

The only other way to shutdown automatically is the old way, which would be to use a batch file with this in it, assuming you're using Windows XP or a version of Windows that includes shutdown.

This automatically runs CCleaner, then gives a 10 second countdown timer (you can change the countdown time to anything you want or remove it altogether for immediate shutdown). Save as "CCleaner Auto Shutdown.bat"

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO
shutdown -s -t 10 -c "System Shutdown after CCleaner"

You can also use the scheduler built in to Cobian Backup(create a dummy task) to schedule a time to do this (I use it all the time). However I would suggest that you look at your power settings, especially the "close lid" settings. Many laptops are set to automatically go to sleep or hibernate when you close the lid. That may be the error you are getting when you

click the icon and close my laptop and go to sleep
. The error may be telling you that the operation can't be performed because the "computer is shutting down" or another typical Windows error message.

Perhaps you have some security software installed that won't allow for the shutdown, or something else, that's just my guess without really knowing for sure.

The only other way to shutdown automatically is the old way, which would be to use a batch file with this in it, assuming you're using Windows XP or a version of Windows that includes shutdown.

This automatically runs CCleaner, then gives a 10 second countdown timer (you can change the countdown time to anything you want or remove it altogether for immediate shutdown). Save as "CCleaner Auto Shutdown.bat"

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTOshutdown -s -t 10 -c "System Shutdown after CCleaner"

That didn't seem to work. It starts a loop, CCleander infinitely runs over and over again. Maybe something is wrong.

• Moderators
That didn't seem to work. It starts a loop, CCleander infinitely runs over and over again. Maybe something is wrong.

Since that didn't work and CCleaner has looped there may be an issue on your system itself, or some security software (firewall, anti-malware, etc.,) that's interfering, or the installation of CCleaner may be messed up.

You can look at the troubleshooting guides here, although you may need to do a fresh install of CCleaner by first uninstalling it, restarting Windows, then download CCleaner, and install CCleaner again.