Defraggler and Vista

krit86lr

Hey all, this might be a stupid question. I read awhile back that Vista takes a long time to defrag because it is constantly making system restore points during the defragmentation process. Is this true? If so, do you just need to turn off System Restore before defragging to speed it up?

Thanks. :blink:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

what? i don't think this is true. sounds rather a dumb move for MS to make. doesn't take long for me to Defrag.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

doesn't take long for me to Defrag.

Seriously? I have let it run as long as 6 hours, and it still hadn't finished. It's annoying...I have yet to complete a full defrag of this laptop. :(

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Windows Vista creates one restore point a day, or occsionally more if you install new programs.

Restore points are created automatically every day, and just before significant system events, such as the installation of a program or device driver. You can also create a restore point manually.

It doesn't stop the defrag process, although it may increase the time it takes. Even so it never takes more than 4 hours on my PC.

I sometimes turn off system restore and delete the restore points and then do a defrag. Just don't forget to turn it back on afterwards.

To turn it off, go to the control panel -> system -> and then under the "Tasks" on the left hand side click on "system protection". The dialog box that follows has a tick box option where you can specify which drive you want to create restore points for, or not as the case may be. Then reboot and defrag.