Support for Pentax Raw Format: PEF

ihatethetv

Something that I need most often but is absent from all but one recovery programs I have tried is support for PEF files.

They're not uncommon files being that pentax SLRs are common now and SLR users often shoot raw.

Picasa supports PEF, and here's a little more info on it:

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/pef

UFRAW, and open source program, converts them...which might help in figuring out the file format.

Thanks,

-glen

As far as I know/tested recuva will recover anything it finds regardless of format.

If your suggestion is for the preview , then yea any additional formats would be great, but remember its main use is not image viewing, that is just a welcome extra that the devs included.

fireryone

You're right fireryone, recuva already will restore PEF files from being undeleted. I tried it yesterday and it works fine. I copied a file to a usb flash drive, deleted it and recuva had no problem getting it back.

What is harder is when the file system has been corrupted and you're doing a raw recovery. I have used programs in the past that search through the data and find files and figure out what they are. They work fine with jpeg and tiff and most formats....but for PEF they just skip them, because they don't know what it is.

-G