[BUG] CCleaner incompatible with Firefox 3's built in session restore

If the config value browser.sessionstore.enabled is set to TRUE (which as it happens, is the default value), CCleaner will fail to remove any of FF's cookies. See my post regarding this issue here.

Firefox version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

CCleaner version: v2.18.878

If the config value browser.sessionstore.enabled is set to TRUE (which as it happens, is the default value), CCleaner will fail to remove any of FF's cookies. See my post regarding this issue here.

Firefox version: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

CCleaner version: v2.18.878

1. It is generally considered bad form to make multiple posts in various forums for one particular problem

2. There is already an answer to your original post showing a high probability that CCleaner did its job perfectly,

but that Browser.sessionstore had copied those cookies elsewhere before CCleaner ran, and when Firefox next started its sessionstore achieved its purpose in life and restored the cookies from where-ever it hid the copies.

Regards

Alan

1. It is generally considered bad form to make multiple posts in various forums for one particular problem

2. There is already an answer to your original post showing a high probability that CCleaner did its job perfectly,

but that Browser.sessionstore had copied those cookies elsewhere before CCleaner ran, and when Firefox next started its sessionstore achieved its purpose in life and restored the cookies from where-ever it hid the copies.

Regards

Alan

My apologies about the double post. My other post which I've linked to from here was posted earlier by me asking for support for the specific problem that I was facing. When it became obvious that this problem could possibly be because of a bug in CCleaner functionality, I posted this "official" bug report. Maybe the mods could delete one thread and keep one.

The session store feature is a default feature of Firefox 3.0 and the config value is enabled by default on a fresh installation of FF3. Keeping that fact in mind, I would argue that CCleaner is not doing it's job perfectly, because when CCleaner reports that all Firefox cookies have been removed, then one would expect that the cookies would have indeed been removed. As things stand right now, that is not the case. With the default configuration of Firefox, CCleaner fails to remove it's cookies.

I think it might be appropriate for CCleaner to have a disclaimer that it has "removed what is known to be safe".

To zapp a private copy that a new version of Firefox has made could unleash consequences ! !

CCleaner removes the Firefox cache,

If CCleaner were to remove the private copies of cache that Windows puts into Restore Points,

then CCleaner would immediately be a more powerful and aggressive cleaner of junk,

but any-one who needs to use System Restore might find he has to re-install Windows.

Be careful what you ask for ! !

Regards

Alan.

If CCleaner were to remove the private copies of cache that Windows puts into Restore Points...

I think you've got Firefox's Session Store feature confused with Windows' System Restore feature. They are separate. AFAIK, Firefox's Session Store does not interact directly with Windows' System Restore so CCleaner shouldn't have to mess with Windows' System Restore cache in any way.

Anyway, I'm done discussing this topic. My aim as a long time CCleaner user, is to help improve the program by reporting any bugs that I happen to come across. It is up to the developers now, whether they want to implement a fix or not.

I think you've got Firefox's Session Store feature confused with Windows' System Restore feature. They are separate. AFAIK, Firefox's Session Store does not interact directly with Windows' System Restore so CCleaner shouldn't have to mess with Windows' System Restore cache in any way.

Anyway, I'm done discussing this topic. My aim as a long time CCleaner user, is to help improve the program by reporting any bugs that I happen to come across. It is up to the developers now, whether they want to implement a fix or not.

I am not the one who is confused.

I never indicated any relationship between FireFox Session Restore and System Restore.

I merely point out that, according to your logic, CCleaner FAILS to cleaner the Firefox cache in that it does not remove any copies of cache held in any Restore Point, and therefore System Restore is still able to resurrect these "deleted" items, and I for one would be unhappy about the consequences if CCleaner chose to delete items from Restore Points.

I never suggested that Firefox Session Restore was placing its cookie copies in Restore Points,

I merely suggest that it copies them in some "private" location which Firefox uses,

and if CCleaner simply zapped that data it might disrupt the operation of Firefox.

I for one would say Firefox has been "broken" if I expected session restore to take me back into a site and it failed because the vital cookie was killed.

Alan