BUG: Improper deletion of Google "cookies" in IE8

Upon investigation, it appears that ccleaner is improperly deleting the: "@google[*].txt" files even when the cookies are marked to be saved! In IE8, Google seems to need access to these .txt files to remember preferences. Here is an example of one of these files:

C:\Users\JTB3\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\jtb3@google[1].txt

I attempted to use a workaround by adding an "exclude" file (with the above filename), but ccleaner still deleted it anyway - it looks like the remove cookies options override the "exclude" listings.

This is a real PIA - I'm sure many others are experiencing this issue - a fix or workaround would really be appreciated

Many thanks as well for providing such a great free product!

Cheers, -JT

• 2 weeks later...
Upon investigation, it appears that ccleaner is improperly deleting the: "@google[*].txt" files even when the cookies are marked to be saved! In IE8, Google seems to need access to these .txt files to remember preferences. Here is an example of one of these files:

C:\Users\JTB3\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\jtb3@google[1].txt

I attempted to use a workaround by adding an "exclude" file (with the above filename), but ccleaner still deleted it anyway - it looks like the remove cookies options override the "exclude" listings.

This is a real PIA - I'm sure many others are experiencing this issue - a fix or workaround would really be appreciated

Many thanks as well for providing such a great free product!

Cheers, -JT

Its not an E8 problem. I have the same problem in E7! The cookies appear to be saved, but they become good as deleted when CC cleans. I un-clicked cookies in CC for both IE7 and Firefox for now.

GeneZ

Yes it's not IE8, but from IE7 onwards it appears. Since ms put both the temp and cookies in the same folder when you delete the index.dat file it also deletes your 'saved cookies'

Un check delete 'index.dat' and DO not have cc start/clean from start up and your cookies should be saved.

See my post I just added the other day...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21476

As this is obviously a common problem Why doesn't someone from cc cleaner say if this IS a 'bug' or a technical problem that is being worked on.

And yes as jt says it is a real PIA :-(

Andy