AlbumArt folder and pagefile.sys crap

cobainfish

• Moderators
They say the best setting for the min. size of the pagefile is the current RAM x 2.5

(128 MB= 128 x 2.5,? 256 MB= 256 x 2.5 ...)

That swapfile/pagefile RAM x 2.5 reference has been around for ages. The only problem with it is you can run into memory related problems such as a program can run out of memory with such a "tweak" when it used to run fine. I used to use that "tweak" on my Win98 system however after undoing it I noticed no performance difference.

-----

Edit:

There's also this, I only tested it on Windows 98 and I don't even recommend using it anymore:

ConservativeSwapfileUsage:

On systems with more than 128MB Ram (not equal to) can use this setting to tell Windows to use the Swap file less and use system memory (ram) more for file usage. Normally the Swap file grows and shrinks constantly by 10's of megabytes every second, minute, etc., when you use different programs thus creating a lot of disk fragmentation. If you use big graphic programs it can grow by 100's of megabytes. The ConservativeSwapfileUsage line "may" improve system performance, and "may" speed up your system.

It really isn't known just how effective this is. It was thoroughly tested on a Win98 system for over one year. The only thing that can really be said about it is that it DOES turns off the usage of the Swap file, e.g.; your system will not use the Swap file at all, this can of course cause severe system stability problems since your system memory is the only means for memory and Windows won't have anywhere to Swap the memory to a file.

Note: All I could tell this was doing was causing less disk thrashing. It also decreases the time it takes to defrag, hence defrag doesn't have to move hundreds of megabytes around the swapfile.

Below is how the ConservativeSwapfileUsage should look in the system.ini file:

[386Enh]

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1